Not eating, shakes head, gasps occasionally

Oct 20, 2018
Ormond Beach, Florida
Hello! Unfortunately, my first post is about a sick chick. I have an adult hen, maybe a Bluebelle, I don't know how old she is because she is a rescue. Her rescue mate is not showing any symptoms.

Anywho, for 3 days now Lillian doesn't want to eat her favorite foods, she shakes her head like she is trying to get something out of her mouth, sometimes she lets out a gasp, but her breathing is mostly normal. I looked down her throat and didn't see anything down there. She drinks a lot of water. I have been putting VetRx on her and in her water. I can't seem to post a short video, I will keep trying.

3 days now Lillian doesn't want to eat her favorite foods, she shakes her head like she is trying to get something out of her mouth, sometimes she lets out a gasp, but her breathing is mostly normal.
She drinks a lot of water.
Have you check Lillian's crop to make sure it's empty in the morning before she has had anything to eat or drink?
What you describe sounds like she has a crop problem.

Read the following article and let us know us what you think.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Sorry, I haven't been able to get back to you.
Lillian is worse and I believe she has wet pox. I looked at previous forums and articles about it, trying to determine what is going on. Tonight I was able to get a better look inside her mouth. She has a large growth along the bottom of her mouth extending down her trachea. Am I supposed to remove this??? Do these things just come off? If she she survives, then she has immunity? Should I vaccinate her coop mate? I am so broken hearted. She is my first and a rescue, I want to save her, but I don't want her to suffer either. Sorry I have so many questions. Wounds and broken bones I can deal with, but I have no pox experience.
Thank you so much!

Can you get some photos?

It would be important to determine if what you are seeing is Wet Fowl Pox or if it is Canker (Trichomonosis) because treatment is different.

Fowl Pox is transmitted by mosquitoes and is a virus, the Wet Form (Avian Diptheria) is a more severe form that can cause the lesions/plagues and sometimes respiratory symptoms. Fowl Pox does have to run it's course, but secondary infection of Wet Form is usually treated with Antibiotics.

Canker is protozaol infection and would need to be treated with an anti-protozoal medication like Metronidazole.

This is what's happening. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_20181025_141819.jpg
    IMG_20181025_141819.jpg
    259.9 KB · Views: 25
This is what's happening. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.
Does she have any other lesions on the comb/wattles, etc. that would make you think it Fowl Pox?
Does this have a foul smell?

I didn't see you mention that she had scabs or anything else, so I would lean toward this being Canker.
Treatment is with Metronidazole. Dosage is one 250mg tablet per day for 5 days.
Canker is contagious and makes chickens carriers, so you need to make sure you keep the water stations and feeders clean.
You can give the flock Acidified Copper Sulfate at 1/8 teaspoon per gallon of water for 3 days a month to help control it.
You may want to read this whole thread - paying particular attention to the posts by @dawg53
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/question-on-canker-fish-zole-treatment.1232922/

Thank you. There are no other lesions. The reason I was thinking Wet Pox is because we are in central Florida and have tons of mosquitoes. Canker, from what I read is from doves and pigeons feeding in their food, but that isn't happening. We only have the two chickens. This one's coop mate has no symptoms...thankfully. Fingers crossed.

Where do I get the medicines? Our local TSC and feed stores don't carry any of those mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom