Not eating their chicken food

mommasandy4

Hatching
Aug 22, 2020
My little flock appear healthy. No problems that I can identify. However, they aren't eating the chicken feed I keep in their run all of the time. They are free-range and get treats just about every day, i.e. watermelon and cantaloupe rinds; once in a while pasta leftovers etc. or scratch. Need I worry?

I like to add water to some of their pellets-they think it’s a treat but they still get the nutrients they need. I add about 1 cup water to 2 cups pellets in an old cool whip container-adjust water as necessary to make an oatmeal like consistency. This is enough for about 20 chickens.

They may just be full of the treats that you give them daily/free-ranging. I know that when I leave my chickens to free-range, they don't touch their food as much. How long have they been acting like this?
Just since I changed their feed container. About a week. I thought they might not like the new container.

I like to add water to some of their pellets-they think it’s a treat but they still get the nutrients they need. I add about 1 cup water to 2 cups pellets in an old cool whip container-adjust water as necessary to make an oatmeal like consistency. This is enough for about 20 chickens.
I can surely try that just so I can make sure they are getting what they need.

Back
Top Bottom