Not eating

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sophiejw, Jul 8, 2010.

1. sophiejw

sophiejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Hello,
    I'm a bit worried about one of my hens, she's an ex egg farm rhode island type. She hadn't laid an egg for a few days, but has laid one this morning (she used to lay pretty much every day but this has really gone down over the last few weeks, I thought it was because of the hot weather we've had). When I gave them their breakfast this morning she wasn't interested at all, just wandered about watching the others. This isn't like her at all, normally she's first in to the food. She looks healthy enough, but I've never seen her uninterested in food.
    If anyone has any thoughts about what could be wrong and what I could do to help her that would be great.
    Many thanks
    Sophie

2. akaxo

akaxo Chillin' With My Peeps

i've just had similar issues today with an ex-battery hen, well kind of. she had a few more symptoms than just loss of appetite. she also had laid an egg this morning and had slowed down to one every few days recently. which i'd put down to the cold weather we've had, but it's winter down here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=370023

dunno if any of that will be helpful or not. good luck.

3. sophiejw

sophiejw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Thanks for that. She has been egg bound before, I held her over warm water and she passed shell and blood, then laid a massive shellless egg in her run (which the others ate!) and looked better immediately. When she was egg bound before she looked hunched up and unhappy and was obviously trying to pass something. She doesn't look like this today but I will watch her for any changes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by