Not egg bound that I can tell but swollen and very red

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sshavney, Mar 22, 2013.

1. sshavney

sshavney Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2011
    Liberty Mounds, OK
    Not egg bound that I can tell but swollen and very red. I have her in warm water soaking. Seems tender to the touch. Help please!!

2. sshavney

May 23, 2011
    Liberty Mounds, OK
    This is my neighbors hen.

3. Kernel Cluck

Kernel Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

Can you post a picture of the problem? I just lost a Wyandotte to a prolapsed vent. Is that what is you have? My local "country vet" Uses sugar water to reduce swelling. I guess its an old trick.

4. sshavney

May 23, 2011
    Liberty Mounds, OK
    [​IMG]

5. sshavney

May 23, 2011
    Liberty Mounds, OK
    Does she drink the sugar water?

6. Kernel Cluck

LOL! No, you make a paste with a much sugar in the water as can be dissolved and you smear it on the swelling. I was skeptical but I have a co-worker who grew up on a diary farm and she states that is what they did with cows with prolapsed "parts".. so to speak. The picture is hard to tell. I am hoping that some of the BYC members with large flocks may chime in. When my hen prolapsed her vent it looked like her insides had come out becuase of-course, thats is what happened. I am not sure if the sugar trick will work on internal swelling.

7. sshavney

May 23, 2011
    Liberty Mounds, OK
    The underside seems to just be swollen,red and tender. The vent seems fine.

8. Kernel Cluck

That is tough. If she is not egg bound, seems like some sort of infectious or inflammatory process going on. I wish I could be more help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by