Not emergency, but... WHAT is the problem here? Give me your opinions.

Shared Acres

Songster
11 Years
Aug 10, 2008
Northeast Fla
I had two birds sent to me by a breeder today. She said they were molting, I said that wasn't a problem. But when I got them, well, I think this goes beyond molting. It looks like she has injuries from a roo, plus some?

I am posting these here not to bash the breeder (who shall be nameless) but to find out in your opinions what I am dealing with. What issues do you see, etc? What are your opinions? Please be honest and give me your advice.

SplashDec23099364LR.jpg

SplashDec23099367LR.jpg

SplashDec23099353LR.jpg

And the other end...
SplashDec23099363LR.jpg

The head...
SplashDec23099358LR.jpg

SplashDec23099360LR.jpg

Feet...
SplashDec23099368LR.jpg

SplashDec23099369LR.jpg

I need to go look at MY birds' feet for comparison, but this one's scales seem to be sticking up a lot... Scaly mites?
SplashDec23099373LR.jpg

SplashDec23099371LR.jpg

And yes, she is a splash, but very yellow.

She also sent me this buff "hen" but she looks more like a boy and her top knot isn't very full.
LEFT is MINE, right is hers...
Dec23099378LR.jpg

She also sent me an apologetic email saying she didn't realize the hen was that bad off and wanted to refund part of my money. I initially paid $60 each. She wants to refund $80, making a total spendature of $40 for the two. Is that fair?

Last edited:
I just looked at a website and I think you are right about the scaly leg mites. I also believe that they are on her face (scaly face mites). I hope this isn't because they came from poor living conditions. These pictures kinda make me mad. It's like they were passing off a problem onto you.

http://www.feathersite.com/Poultry/Health/Dis/scaly.html

Give her a warm bath and get the feces off of her. There are many treatments online that you can look up. Is she eating and drinking properly?

Last edited:
I JUST got her a couple of hours ago. She seems healthy other then her obvious injuries. The top knot damage is obviously roo damage. But the front? What is up with that? Even around the butt seems like she is missing feathers and looks kind of dry and scaley.

Any one who breeds chickens should know that that bird has some health issues, the breeder should never have sent her to you looking like that.

Poor thing! That baby is in a terrible need of a long warm bath and TLC--poor thing is filthy:-( She does look like she is molting to an extent-notice the new chest feathers growing in-but the rest is from overcrowding or and over aggressive roo/roos??? I keep her away from other for a few weeks anyway for quaranteen butthat will also get feathering back and healing--poor baby:-(

I did find some images on BYC of a hard molt which could explain the neck issue... but overall there seems to be some serious issues here. Am I wrong?

Who would pay full price for a hen that looks like this?

Is there any way some of the pecking damage was in shipping? I am just curious really, because I don't know how live birds are shipped. I don't understand how anyone would think that poor bird would be acceptable to sell/ship?

Isn't scaly mites something that all their birds would have? Have you spoken to the breeder yet? Crazy..

Back
Top Bottom