1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

not emergency - need an opinion

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickengr, Jan 28, 2017.

1. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    hi,
    I have just lost a pullet. she had always been fine, started to lay last week. when she was going to the coop this evening she suddenly couldn't walk properly. I brought her into the house and put in the cage. she was standing for a while then fell down with 1 leg stretched behind. I took her and noticed she had tachycardia and spams. it looked like some kind of poisoning. I gave her charcoal and plenty of water and she started vomiting. by that time she had difficulty breathing due to vomiting and her legs almost got paralyzed. she suffered for about 3 hours and suddenly died - kind of choked trying to vomit.

although it looked like poisoning I cannot think of anything that caused it. what else have tachycardia and spasms as symptoms?

2. Teila

Teila Bambrook Bantams Premium Member

Howdy chickengr

I am so very sorry to hear of your loss [​IMG]

A typical symptom of Marek’s disease is one leg extended forward and one leg extended back.

If your hen has just started to lay, she does fall into the typical age group for Marek’s. Do you know if she was vaccinated?

This might help: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Another possibility that comes to mind is botulism: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/19/botulism/

Are you able to send her for a necropsy? That would probably be the best bet for getting a definitive diagnosis and also help set your mind at ease with regards to the rest of your flock.

3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    It does sound like poisoning or some sort of seizure to me. Marek's disease is always a possibility with paralyzed birds, but it doesn't normally come on so rapidly--generally birds with Marek's just waste away, partially paralyzed.

Is there any way your chickens could have eaten part of a dead animal, drank some really dirty water, or come into contact with a poison (such as that used for rats/mice/other pests)? I would suspect botulism the most, based on the symptoms and sudden onset.

4. chickengr

chickengr Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2014
    greece
    thank you for your replies.

she was probably vaccinated for Marek's. I bought her from a person who vaccinates his chickens. and there has not been any case of Marek's in my area since I got my first chickens in 2014.

it has been rainy with a lot of puddles in their run but there has been their droppings only, no chemicals. I put live limestone a few days ago to disinfect it.

I thought of botulism too but I went to check their run and couldn't find anything unusual. it is small and easy to check. that's why I am confused.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by