not enough chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by FisherMOM, Jul 11, 2008.

1. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    Well, I am coming to the realization, that I have too many roosters and not enough hens. We bought 3 pullets this spring so that Rusty would have 4 hens to pick on rather than just one. Seems out of the 3 pullets, 2 are roosters. Sad thing is, we just love them all!!!!

Mango, our Cornish X Rooster and Rose, the RIR cough,cough, ROOSTER, are starting to size each other up. I catch them once in a while standing up straight facing each other. I just keep praying that Rose is a tomboy!!! [​IMG] They are 11 weeks old. Rose has not crowed yet... but I imagine if she is a he, it won't be long.

If this is the case... looks like I will be getting more chickens in the future.

My DH is going to FLIP!!!!! [​IMG][​IMG]

2. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    My last order was for 10 RIR hens, lost 2 and ended up with 4 hens and 4 roosters possibly. If this is true then Ill be getting rid of 3 roosters but like your hubby mine will flip if I get more chickens.

3. Ericasl

Ericasl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2008
    The Dalles OR
    Both you you just need to act surprised and say THEY JUST SHOWED UP!!!What luck..[​IMG]

4. Robin L

Robin L Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2008
    Wisconsin
    Quote:I already thought of that lol I can easlily get some more from the neighbor (maybe even one at a time) and just place them in the pen [​IMG]
    edited for spelling

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  5. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    I am going to a poultry show this fall.. people usually sell some chickens there... I might see if there are some very young/tame hens for sale.

I know I will need to keep them separated... but I may go that route... buy birds that I KNOW are hens!! I would prefer to raise them myself, but I have to think of the 2 hens that I have now. Midnight DEFINATELY needs some relief!

poor, bald headed thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by