Not enough water

Bejep714

Songster
Feb 2, 2021
South East PA
I have a group on 1 and a half year old chickens living outside and today I was away the entire day until tonight when I put them away. I realized both of their waters inside and out were frozen. I dont think they got water the entire day. I refilled their indoor water, but they were already roosting and will need to wait until morning. I think it will probably be frozen again, but I'll make sure to go out early when it's still dark to thaw it out. They have a light that goes on in the moring around 430 and I'll probably be out around 6 to give them water if it does freeze. I just want to know if I'm worried about them not getting enough water, or if it's not a big deal. They are all acting fine. Should this not effect them?

I have a group on 1 and a half year old chickens living outside and today I was away the entire day until tonight when I put them away. I realized both of their waters inside and out were frozen. I dont think they got water the entire day. I refilled their indoor water, but they were already roosting and will need to wait until morning. I think it will probably be frozen again, but I'll make sure to go out early when it's still dark to thaw it out. They have a light that goes on in the moring around 430 and I'll probably be out around 6 to give them water if it does freeze. I just want to know if I'm worried about them not getting enough water, or if it's not a big deal. They are all acting fine. Should this not effect them?
They should be ok, but definitely don't make a habit of it. Do you have a heated waterer for them? I've been using a heated dog water bowl and it's working well.

If the temperature doesn't go too low during the day, placing a plastic bottle full of salt water (closed very tightly) inside the chicken waterer keeps it from freezing. This worked for me down to about 20 degrees. I used about 1/4 cup of salt in the bottle.

EDIT: Well, looking at other threads, it appears this only works when the bottle moves around in the water, not because the salt water is warmer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:
If you hold a flashlight so they can see their waterer and the way down to it then they will come down for it. It takes a while the first time; less so if happens again. Getting them back to bed also... gradually dim or gradually cover the light. In my case, I got home a little later than planned and dark comes soooo early this time of year. They did not have full crops.

Obviously, too late this time but for others or another time... the water is really important, especially when it is very hot or very cold. Among other things, it will help keep good circulation through their combs which will protect against frostbite.

I'm just going to echo two really important points:

1) Water is so critical for any animal and dehydration can be very dangerous especially in extreme weather (hot or cold). This is not to make you feel bad, but letting them go a full day without water is not something you can "get away with" (in terms of their health) too many times.

2) If you have electricity in your coop, there are many things you could do to keep the water from freezing. Many have mentioned heated water bowls (bowls that plug directly in). You can also use bird bath warmers or other similar devices. These plug in and they float in your waterer that you already have (most waterers have a top with a hole, you can run the plug up out of that hole).

You will definitely want to find a consistent system that keeps your waterers from freezing. It took me several tries to find something that worked for my run (heated bowls and a heated base only worked sometimes, ditto a heated horizontal waterer). Now I have two different heaters that immerse in my waterers and that works pretty well.

If you can't heat the water somehow, last week our temperatures were very low, so after the chickens went to bed, I emptied out their waterers and brought them in the house, then in the morning took them back outside and filled them up. That way you know they are going to at least have a few hours of fresh water and you can check them right away when you get home.

I'm just going to echo two really important points:

1) Water is so critical for any animal and dehydration can be very dangerous especially in extreme weather (hot or cold). This is not to make you feel bad, but letting them go a full day without water is not something you can "get away with" (in terms of their health) too many times.

2) If you have electricity in your coop, there are many things you could do to keep the water from freezing. Many have mentioned heated water bowls (bowls that plug directly in). You can also use bird bath warmers or other similar devices. These plug in and they float in your waterer that you already have (most waterers have a top with a hole, you can run the plug up out of that hole).

You will definitely want to find a consistent system that keeps your waterers from freezing. It took me several tries to find something that worked for my run (heated bowls and a heated base only worked sometimes, ditto a heated horizontal waterer). Now I have two different heaters that immerse in my waterers and that works pretty well.

If you can't heat the water somehow, last week our temperatures were very low, so after the chickens went to bed, I emptied out their waterers and brought them in the house, then in the morning took them back outside and filled them up. That way you know they are going to at least have a few hours of fresh water and you can check them right away when you get home.
Your right on the mark, Anon112! 😊

Back
Top Bottom