1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not even sure bread or gender

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by tillyschick, Apr 20, 2016.

1. tillyschick

tillyschick Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2016
    I was told this one was a red sex link. It has grown much much faster then my other chickens. Anyone want to guess rooster or hen? Does it look like a sex link? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. tillyschick

Feb 20, 2016
    Haha! Breed not bread. I'm pretty sure it's not a loaf [​IMG]

3. HopieGirl4Ever

HopieGirl4Ever The Chook Artist

Oct 23, 2014
    At my Desk
    It looks like a rooster to me :) I'm not sure about breed.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  4. tillyschick

Feb 20, 2016
    I'm feeling rooster too but if it's my seed link then it's suppose to a pullet. It could also be a Dixie rainbow, those were mixed. I know it's not a buff though. Those two I've figured out [​IMG]

5. MonicainAZ

MonicainAZ Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think your loaf is a mixed breed. :) Although it could be a black sexlink rooster (sexlinks are a mix of breeds). I'm pretty sure it's a rooster.

6. MonicainAZ

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Dixie rainbow makes sense, and would also explain why he's grown so fast. :)

A red sex link pullet will be red on the front and white at the tail. Have any like that?

Maybe it is a pumpernickel. LOL

7. tillyschick

Feb 20, 2016
    [​IMG]

These were all six of my chicks.

I'm still thinking pumpernickel is a contender [​IMG]

In the first pic up above, the chicken on the left is probably one of my pullets if this guy is a rooster and Dixie rainbow.

8. MonicainAZ

May 21, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    I don't have hardly any experience with these guys, and there is a lot of variation with sex links because they can be mixes of different breeds. Normally I'd suspect the chipmunk chick on the left as your sexlink, but I assume that's the chick that turned into your dixie rainbow/pumpernickel. :) I'm going to guess that the red sex link is one of the two that are just a bit more shaded and a bit more reddish - on the top and the far right. What did those two grow up to be?

Edit - just read your post more carefully. Yes, the chicken on the left is likely your sex link. :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by