Not everyone likes our Backyard Chickens - :-(

Don't get me wrong I love sound of cockerels and would have no issue with it either but not everyone is like us, cockerels can crow in the early hours on and off and are loud, if people have to get up early to go to work that will annoy them and rightly so, we should have more respect for other people too. I have a roo at the moment just to fertilise some eggs, he is in an indoor hutch overnight and only let out after 8am.

Hi, one question. Do you live in a residential area? If so, I can understand someone getting disturbed sleep when your roo does his thing. Someone in our vicinity had one and I gather there were several promises to turn him into chicken soup if his owners didn't do something to curb his early morning alarm clock bit. Now whether this ever happened I have no idea, but in a residential area, life is alot happier without him. Maybe the idea of keeping him enclosed in a dark house until after the time that most would consider social might be an idea, you keep your boy and the locals are happy. Sorry if this sounds negative and I am sure he's a very handsome boy and will father some wonderful offspring. Oh and I wasn't one of those who threatened him with such an end, indeed it was lovely to hear him through the day, but at 03.30 - quite another story I'm afraid.

I do hope that you find a solution to your apparent problem. After all he's only doing what roos do, just, apparently it seems, in the wrong place.

I imagine that my roo at 4 in the morning is not so pleasant, but neither are the dueling, howling beagles down the road, or the frequent bark-a-thon events of the 6-8 neighborhood dogs (which also sets off the beagles), or the desperate "I'm lonely!!!" yap-fest of the little guy on the other corner (which also sets off the beagles), or fire trucks or, police cars or....

You can get acclimated to any noise, and we all do.

We're not allowed to have roos in my town, most places around here, the houses are fairly close together, so I get that nobody wants to here crowing in the early am. Most of my neighbors wouldn't even hear if I had one-I can't see their houses from my yard-they're pretty far off. However, my neighbor across the street (oh yes, I can see him very clearly) and I have an issue with his dog barking all day and night. We've been going through this problem for quite some time now, and recently had to call the police when "Lenny" woke us up yet again. It was after 2 years of nightly howling and barking at nothing at 2 am that we called. We spoke to him then told him we'd call the police. So we did.
If that jerk that leaves him LABRADOODLE outside in 20 degrees in January heard we had a rooster, you can be sure the police would be at my house in 10 minutes. I have no problem with not having a roo, but if my chickens got taken away because of a nasty neighbor, there'd be a bigger problem then barking dogs and crowing birds.

So Imma gonna obey the no rooster law. Simply so I can keep my girls.

I would rather hear a rooster than a lot of things, and our roo can be quite annoying... He just learned to crow so it's a HORRIBLE screachy sound! LOL.

D.gif

I must be straight up country
wink.png
I have 12 rooster out of my 55 chickens, I cant even hear them in my house and there building is 75 to 100 feet from the house????? I think mine do more crowing mid afternoon, they get a crowing war going on, one at a time they try to out do the others. I now live in the middle of fields and no one near. I moved last year because i was afraid of getting a letter & telling me i would have to get rid of my chickens, Plus now I dont have to hear the people fighting down the street, or the dogs barking all day & night long. I dont have to hear the loud cars or there music & so thankful I dont have to hear there car alarms because there kids are playing with there keys again & I could hear all that with in my house... The funnest part is after I moved some said they missed the roosters and asked me for 1, he had hens but no roosters. So he now has one of my rooster & still no letter.

Back
Top Bottom