Not exactly a PET, but...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by FloridaChickenChick, Sep 4, 2008.

1. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    There is a big ole turtle swimming around in my pool!

I tried to scoop him out because it's superchlorinated waiting for Hanna and/or Ike rains...I don't think it's too good for him...but he's having NONE of that!

He has a long pointy nose...his shell is oval and smooth. I don't think he's a snapping turtle (at least, not an alligator turtle) but I don't want to get too close without knowing for sure. So I'm off to do an internet search.

But I wanted to tell YOU first! [​IMG]

ETA: It's a Florida Soft Shell Turtle. They can bite according to this: http://www.lakejacksonturtles.org/softshell.pdf

I
    hope it's okay to post this link.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2008
  2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    lol...thats neat!...they say if you can grab the tail...[​IMG]..they cant bite ya..??..when we had a big snapper in our yard,we took a shovel..and prodded her into a box..then brought her back to the river..good luck...Wendy

3. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Sounds like a stinkpot turtle but not quite sure

4. FloridaChickenChick

FloridaChickenChick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Lake County, Florida
    We've had so much rain recently that animals that haven't been seen in ages are out and about again. I don't necessarily WANT turtles in the pool, but if it means there's enough water that they can move about freely I guess it's a good thing.

I hope it tires out soon so I can catch it.

5. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I was going to say it sounded like a Soft Shell Turtle [​IMG]

6. buck-wild-chick

buck-wild-chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2008
    Hamilton C. FL
    Are you going to let it go , ouce you catch it ?? turtles are my FAV animal lol

I have never touched a softshelled one before.. They have really long necks though [​IMG]

7. menageriemama

menageriemama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2008
    Lake Nebagamon, WI
    We used to catch them once in a while when canoeing the Wisconsin River. They are sooo cool!!! If you dont have a good spot to release it, lemme know and you can ship him up here so I can start a colony in my lake [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by