Not exactly an emergency but I need some feedback

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by babsterh, Jul 9, 2016.

1. babsterh

babsterh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2013
    Suffolk, VA
    My 5 month old RIR is squeaking. Instead of the normal chatter this girl has a squeak almost in a hic-cup like pattern. It's not constant but she'll have several in a row then stop and start again. It's over 100 degrees here today, it's been hot all week...not sure if that is a factor. The squeaking has been going on for 2 days. She hasn't started laying yet and seems to be eating and drinking well. Any thoughts? Thanks

Last edited: Jul 9, 2016
  2. That Quail Lady

That Quail Lady Out Of The Brooder

Jul 8, 2016
    Houston
    One of My RIR roosters did that for a while, in the summer heat.
    My guess is its some mild version of a heat stroke something like that, a throat injury, etc.

3. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    My idea is that "she" is teaching "himself" to crow. Stranger things have happened.

4. babsterh

Jan 9, 2013
    Suffolk, VA
    lol, that would be interesting...I let my 3 year old grandson name "her"... he wanted to name her Donald Trump but we told him it was a girl so he named her Hillary Clinton

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm not sure, but she might be sneezing or snicking. You can probably find a video of that on youtube or by doing a search on Google or BYC.

1 person likes this.
  6. babsterh

Jan 9, 2013
    Suffolk, VA
    Thanks...I just put some electrolytes in their water in the event it is heat related

7. limited25

limited25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2016
    Oklahoma
    Our 14 month RIR rooster does that sometimes. He first started doing it when we put a new cage with young pullets next to the cage he and his hens are in. It is hot here too but they have a mister they get into when they want to cool off. Dunno, might be associated with the heat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by