Not excited................

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by artsy1, Dec 23, 2011.

1. artsy1

artsy1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2011
    sarasota
    I find it very interesting that not many people, even family are not happy or excited that I own chickens, I just don't get it.
    Maybe when they start to lay eggs, and I give them some, they might be more enthusiastic. I just have so many funny chicken stories to tell my friends and family, but it seems they are not that interested. I am so grateful to find b.y.c. so I can share with people here that feel the same way.

Does anyone else encounter this?

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

All the time. I showed my video of my rooster crowing (very hilarious IMO) to my whole family tonight. Nothing. Not a smile. :|

You are not alone! Even my fiance lacks the enthusiasm I have for them!

3. frostbite

frostbite Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2011
    Fairbanks, Alaska
    My family teases me about it, but only because they love me. DH has enjoyed watching me turning into a contractor fro the purpose of remodeling a playhouse into a coop. A lot of folks around here think it's pretty cool.

4. ambrosia

ambrosia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2011
    My DH just smiles and nods when I come back from the coop with "the cutest egg" or a funny something or other that one of the girls did. My daughter is terrified of them - at the age of sixteen. My oldest thinks they are there so he can eat as much fried eggs as he can handle. The only one who is entertained is the thirteen year old boy... as sometimes he walks away shaking his head before I can even tell the whole story. So I hear you! I love them, and they entertain me constantly... what's not to love???

5. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    my wife tolerates it cuz it is better than chasing women and drinking

most of my buddies are into so that helps and the folks that i work think I am crazy because of the snakes so...yeah...I get ya

6. MaureenC

MaureenC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2011
    I think his crow is hilarious too - he's trying soooo hard, but not too much comes out...

He is gorgeous!

7. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    Lol,of all people I would have to say my dh is the least excited when I come at him with chicken stories,but he is like that with everything. Thankfully I have family,friends,and neighbors I can unload on.

8. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    In my experience it takes YEARS. My mother in law is adamant about animals being unnecessary, smelly, dirty, chickens especially. FIL thinks it's great and demands eggs.

I've brought her around though, and it was a bird that did it. Cooper the Amazon parrot. He won her over with his charm and antics, as filthy and loud as he was. She's been over to watch the chickens and I think she likes it.

Most people like the ducks better. They're hilarious. They've also become much better dog owners. They no longer leave the dog outside alone and they actually take her for walks and *gasp* car rides that aren't to the vet office!

My dad on the other hand... the only positive comment I've gotten is "Wow, those ducks are actually kind of pretty". Gee, thanks, I think so too. [​IMG]

I still think of the looks I got early on, a decade ago, when talking about my animals or animals I wanted. You'd swear I had 3 heads. But I think they get it now through some of the animals and how they are. Sometimes... they see what I see.

Doubtful that they'll ever get as excited as I do, but they at least ask questions now instead of just ignoring the topic totally.

9. roxyblue

roxyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2011
    pittsburgh, PA
    I have become "that chicken lady" all over our street. I get concerned looks when I talk about the girls too much......your right! they just don't get it.

10. newchickgal

newchickgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Republic of Panama
    Just have to tell you about the time I told a cousin of mine that I have chickens (he manages an egg farm in Calif and his dad had one all the time my cousin was growing up, side note: the egg farm is a non cage and is free range [​IMG] ) Well, anyway, he asked me how many chickens do I have and when I told him 2, he just about was rolling on the floor laughing! All he could manage to say 'only two?'. Hey, there's only two of us, we don't need many!!! [​IMG] Wish you could share my family. They can at least relate!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by