Not feeling like the best mom tonight

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by HeatherLynn, Mar 15, 2011.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    We just got back from a long family trip. Kids are so out of schedule its not funny. Everyone has the tummy flu. Because I never sleep of course I got it the worst. And then there was tonight. I got the baby to bed. I got the others in their room with a movie. Of course since they are off their normal schedule because of vacation they did not settle down at all and woke up the baby. She gets sick again because they got her crying. I get her calmed down. Lay her down, get everyone settled down again. They turn the tv up as loud as possible and wake her up again. Of course she gets sick again all over her favorite blanket that she cannot sleep without.

So I snapped. I yell for the older 2 to get in bed, lights out, no more movie. The 3 year old I tell to lay down and I take the baby down to my mother. I get the 3 year old to sleep and go back for her but by now she is so upset and tired she cannot go to sleep. So I figure i will take her on a drive but someone parked behind me and they are in pj's and do not want to move the car so i can calm her down and when she is like this a car ride is the only thing that works. So I bring her back upstairs. I lay her screaming unconsolable self in bed, give her another blankie and shut the door. The 3 year old gets up and I told him to hush, go to sleep, mommy is done for the night. Not my finest moment. Everyone is asleep and I feel like a piece of poo for not being a bit more patient. I was tired, not so much now. Now I just feel bad.

2. georgialee

georgialee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Knoxville, TN
    Being a mom is hard. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    it is ok. we all have them. [​IMG]

4. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    Well it's not like this is occuring every night, you're just sick and burned out. No big deal. Don't torture yourself. The only person who is even going to remember this in the morning is you [​IMG] Kids don't care, they live in the moment [​IMG] Get a good nights sleep and tomorrow will be just fine [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Four kids? god love you! I survived two.......When I'd get that stressed I'd say "go far far away from mommy now" and they would. Bless their heart, I think It's more accurate to say they survived me! Don't be too hard on yourself. Days like this happen. But, it'll all be over before you know it and then You'll be wishing for days like today!

6. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    [​IMG] You might not feel like your Mom of the year material right now but I gotta say I think your a good mom. There are a lot of kids who have a mom who would have snapped and harmed them or maybe ignored and neglected them during all of this. Cut yourself some slack I think your doing great. I hope you get some much deserves rest soon and that everybody feels better very soon. Hang in there Mama! this too shall pass;)

7. Momagain1

Momagain1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Central IL
    I agree....you are a great mom..we all have those nights..

Once you all get on your schedule again and back to feeling great...it'll be water under the bridge!!

Sorry hon..if I was by you..I'd try to help out![​IMG]

8. Chickengal505

Chickengal505 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Bolivia N.C
    [​IMG] Don't feel bad Your all sick and your snapping point is shorter. Just tell the older ones that, and tell your three year old that mommy was sick and very sleeply last night. My mother leaves me in charge of a 2 year old a 4 year old and a 7 year old most of the time, and I remember when the youngest was still a baby [​IMG] drove me nuts. Felt so bad for snapping at the oldest. He is shuch a sweety. Just chill and take a load off your feet. After a vacation I know i'm frazzled much less sick [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  9. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    Kids are much more resilient than we give them credit for. There are moments when they drive you to the last nerve. It sounds like you warned them more than a few times. So maybe it will awhile before they forget, that it isn't fun to push mommy's last button. I am sorry that you don't feel well, and that you have had a bad evening. It sounds like you are a great mom. [​IMG]

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by