Not feeling very fond of my boy goat right now....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by cyanne, Feb 17, 2009.

1. cyanne

cyanne Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I've been dosing my ND goats with LA200 injections for pinkeye, and it has not been a fun experience for us or the goats, but tonight took things to a whole new level of 'unfun.'

Most of the time I am very fond of our buck, he was bottle raised so he's a real lovebug, but it can get VERY annoying when you are trying to do something in the pasture and he just will not go away. Anything you try to do takes twice as long because you have to stop every two seconds to push him out of the way.

Tonight he was at the top of his game, shoving his unwelcome self in the midst of us trying to catch and give injections. He was easy as always because it's not so much a matter of catching him as it is peeling him away from you far enough to give the shot.

The 3 girls are another matter entirely. I had the hubby catching and holding each one while I administered the shot. Then we got down to the last one and the hubby wasn't able to catch her. I am usually better at that sort of thing, mainly because he worries too much about accidentally hurting one so he'll often let go when they start to struggle. [​IMG]

So I got her cornered and grabbed her, and the hubby came forward to put the leash around her neck. Of course the buck thinks this is the perfect time to come get some cuddles, so he crams himself in the middle of the action, keeping my hubby from getting the leash on and giving the doe time to throw a fit to get away from me.

All this time I had been holding the syringe in one hand, not really even worrying about it because I still have the cap on the needle. But, wouldn't you know it, somehow in the tangle of the buck plastering himself to me to try to get some loving and the doe fighting for all she's worth to get away so I can't give her a shot, the cap comes off and the needle gets shoved right into my wrist.

OUCH!!! [​IMG]

I didn't get any of the meds in me, but I sure ripped the crud out of a vein and poked some other stuff that is probably pretty important. Bled everywhere and it still hurts like a *bad word, bad word, bad word* I am so ticked off at my goats right now, especially the buck, that I can hardly see straight. I know that it's not their fault, it's just their nature, and I'll be fine tomorrow but right now I could cheerfully wring his stupid neck. [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    awww! he sounds like a sweetie!...[​IMG] [​IMG]

3. cyanne

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Yeah, yeah, he's sweet for the first five minutes, then you just want him to go away!

Not to mention, I'm not so sure that his mind is only on platonic love, if you know what I mean. [​IMG]

I'm pretty sure 3/4ths of his loving nature is just those raging young male hormones and the other 1/4 is just his appetite hoping he can get some food.

4. cutiepieacres

cutiepieacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    S. CA
    awww, you have a nurse! I have a couple nurses that just want to offer their services to anything from giving shots, trimming hooves, de-worming you name it. They know they are good at these things, seriously they offer themselves right up front to go first to get all that so called(by the other goats) "mean-stuff" done, they arent sure why the other goats dont want to, its not all that fun, but they get lots of attention, so its worth it.

5. Chatychick

Chatychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2007
    Blue Mound, Kansas
    I learned the hard way to make a catch pen that way I can turn out the 1's that have been treated and also get the annoying loving 1;s out also...Its a thought and you might even try tying him to the fence till you get dont with what you need to do...just a thought...

6. SheriM

SheriM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    Normally, I love bottle raised goats. They're so much easier to handle than the wild orangutans, but on the other hand, there's a reason we refer to them as PITA goats...as in "Pain In The A**". [​IMG] Or in your case, I guess that would be pain in the wrist. [​IMG]

By any chance do you have some udder infusion on hand, you know, the stuff you use to treat mastitis? I've used that for pink eye many times and it works great. Just squirt a ribbon in the affected eye. It might not be any easier to do with an amorous buck plastered to your leg, but least it won't rip you wide open if you get poked with it.

7. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    [​IMG]

I thank my husband for my stanchion every time I use it...my GOSH that sounds painful![​IMG]

8. wendy

wendy On the Hill

Jun 14, 2007
    central louisiana
    Oh, so sorry, that sounds so painful. Hope the pain is easing up. We have goats and I know what you mean about there antics. My nigerian dwarf jumped on my back two different times while I was bent down petting the new kids and a new goat [​IMG]

9. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Ouch! So sorry about your wrist. That had to hurt!
    I'm with Chatty on this one. When I have something to do and don't want to be bothered by the over friendly goats I either pen them or tie them.

10. cyanne

May 19, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Yep, we are definitely going to set something up to avoid this sort of thing in the future. Right now, we are still in the process of building and buying everything we need so we just didn't have a convenient place to put him.

And a stanchion is definitely next up on the list! Their hooves could use a good trimming and I don't fancy trying to do it while the hubby holds them down again. Ugh, I'd probably end up cutting off a finger with my luck!

As for the wrist, it still aches quite a bit and has a big bruise where the vein bled out under the skin. What are the odds of sticking a needle in at random and hitting a nice fat vein dead center, huh? Probably lucky the meds didn't go in, I think I read somewhere that injecting LA200 (into a goat anyway) intravenously too quickly could cause death. Wonder what it would do to a person, huh?

Also, how fun would it have been to explain that to a Dr in the ER? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by