Not feeling welcomed

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by litmisredneck, Oct 12, 2012.

1. litmisredneck

litmisredneck Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2012
    Pierson Fl
    I am new to BYC and I love it. I have been posting a few post in different topics trying to learn and gain information. I am new with having chickens to my self, as we had what seemed like millions growing up. But I have not had much response or posting from others on here. I know everyone is busy now a days with working and farming and such, but i would have thought that with all the members at show on line, that i might get an answer to a question i have about a sick roo. I just don't feel as welcomed as i was hoping i guess. Like i said, I am new at raising chickens and am very excited to learn and hear from others out there with more knowledge than I about them. Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but it was the best that I could find.

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Well they could be like me. I have two jobs so I am on here sporatically and I just today saw the other post...read it...but didn't have an answer so I didn't answer it. Doesn't mean no one is shunning you or not welcoming you...just mostly means the right people haven't come across it yet. Maybe call the vet back and see what they suggest?

3. Sometimes it seems to take a long time for a response to something you post or something you need information about. But just hang in there eventually someone will post that knows something about what you are asking and answer your post.

It sounds like you are doing the right thing.

4. Oh and welcome to BackYardChickens.

5. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

Sorry you feel this way. We do have one of, if not THE friendliest large community forum on the internet. With that said, sometimes lack of replies can happen and there are many reasons for this. Perhaps this FAQ will help: Learn how to get the best answers to your questions!

6. Baymule

Baymule Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2010
    Northeast Texas
    I have had that happen to me too. Don't let it get you down or feel unwelcomed. You ARE welcomed here and keep posting. We are a bunch of mainstream missfits that somehow all fit in here like a crazy quilt. Some of us are more quiet, some are more loud mouth? keyboarded maybe? [​IMG] But we all are important here. But most of all, YOU ARE IMPORTANT!! [​IMG]

7. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    litmisredneck...I have read your posts regarding your concerns about your chickens and rooster and as a small flock chicken owner I think they are good issues. The problem I have found is that with certain illnesses and symptoms not everyone here has had that kind of detailed experience and sometimes you have to keep the topic alive (and hopefully your rooster) until one of the more knowedgeable folks on here reads your thread (someone like speckledhen). If you are not getting immediate responses it usually is related to the time you post. A lot of the really knowledgeable people on here are out working and some of them dont get on the site until after dinner and then they usually go through the new posts and see what they can respond to. Also, you should do a search to see if your issue has been covered before. For most of the questions I think you will find that the question has been asked and answered oncve or even many times before. The search function is an invaluable tool. As for not feeling welcomed I think you will also find that almost all of the people here are welcoming to everyone. Welcome to the club

8. litmisredneck

Oct 4, 2012
    Pierson Fl
    Thanks yall. Yes I agree that there is a wealth of knowledge here. That is one of the main reasons I joined! I will be a bit more patient and enjoy BYC!

9. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    [​IMG]

Go to the Social section of the forum and find your local State Thread. There is a good one in Florida. Introduce yourself there and you will likely be very welcomed.

10. litmisredneck

Oct 4, 2012
    Pierson Fl
    Thanks![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by