1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not Fertile???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by sirj_76, Apr 29, 2011.

1. sirj_76

sirj_76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    I have a pen with 4 OEGB's. The roo snd one of the hens aren't quite a year old yet and the other 2 hens I'm not sure how old they are. Any how I'm pretty sure the one I'm getting eggs from is the young hen with maybe one occasionally from one of the older hens. Well a month ago I set some of their eggs and I got 0 development. Is my roo not fertile or is it possible that he's just not old enough? I know it's not from lack of trying. If it matters any they are blue breasted reds. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    In watching him.. have you been able to tell whether or not he is "hitting the mark" or is he still in the clumsy/practicing stage? I've seen others posting about how their younger roos take time to learn exactly how to mount the hen. Did you crack open the failure eggs to see if they had a "bullseye" or not?

3. sirj_76

sirj_76 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2011
    No I haven't actually observed up close. I'm not sure I'd know what I was looking for anyhow. After the eggs being in the incubator for 3 weeks I was a little leery of cracking one open. If I set a couple more how many days until you can see it? Or does it even take days?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by