Not fully formed chick? *PICS MILDLY GRAPHIC*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Newbie chick 30, Mar 22, 2011.

1. Newbie chick 30

Newbie chick 30 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    I have a chick that was hatched by a broody hen (an egg from one of my chickens). I found the chicken still sitting on her nest ( I quickly checked under her and did not see any others hatching) and 1 dry chick running around her. I decided to take the chick since it was the lone one for who knows how long before the others started to hatch. Momma didn't seem bothered by this and certainly did not get up from her nest. Once I got the chick in the house I noticed its belly was bloody (dried) but I am unable to see any noticable wound. I decided to put it with my other chicks and it seems to be getting around quite well but upon further inspection I noticed another spot (similar to one the belly) under 1 of its wings (this spot...u can see a small hole). It almost looks like its skin had not fully covered everywhere...maybe it hatched too early? I don't think it was attcked by another chicken because of the odd placement of the spots. It also doesn't seem like it was born today because it is up and moving quite well...maybe it sat under mom for a day? No idea! All I know is I check on momma twice a day and this is the first I saw of chicky. Anyone had this type of thing? Please help!! sad

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  2. Newbie chick 30

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    The first 2 pics are of the belly and the last one is from under the wing...the belly started to bleed a little from us messing with it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I would just gently clean it off and put some neosporin on it (the one without the painkiller in it). It should be fine. Are you returning the chick to momma or keeping it in a brooder?

4. clairabean

clairabean Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Kootenays of BC!
    Yup, what the above poster said.

Good luck, little chick.

5. Newbie chick 30

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando, FL
    It seems to be doing really well with the other chicks and momma doesn't seem to be missing it...so my plan is to keep it with the other chicks.

6. chickintexas

chickintexas Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2010
    Spring Branch
    Quote:I'd be doing the same thing as well. Especially because of the unknown possibilities of what might have happened. If you are using a brooder light, make sure its one of those red ones! You certainly don't want any of the other chicks picking at the bloody areas on that one. And a red light reduces picking. [​IMG]

7. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I would put some BlueKote on it if it is back with the other chicks...so they don't start pecking at the bloody area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by