Not funny!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by hatchaholic, Sep 24, 2008.

1. hatchaholic

hatchaholic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    My black sex-links and BR's are all about 18 1/2 weeks old now. I can't hardly wait for one of them to lay the first egg. The suspense is killing me! [​IMG] I've been checking the nesting boxes first thing in the morning, as soon as I get home from work in the evening, and sometimes on my lunch break. Still nothing.

Anyway, I get home from work tonight and go straight down to the chicken yard to check the coop. Right there nestled perfectly in one of the nesting boxes was a brown egg!! But wait...the egg was perfectly clean, and out-of-the fridge cold???

My DH and youngest son thought it would be funny to put a store-bought egg in the nest. NOT FUNNY!!! [​IMG]

(Should have known they were up to something when they offered to cook grits and eggs for supper!!!)

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    LOL..good idea!!..i may do that to my hubby...i'll put like a dozen in the nest box though.[​IMG]..i can just see his face tomorrow!...[​IMG]...might as well have some fun since mine arent laying yet either....thanks, Wendy

3. k0xxx

k0xxx Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    North Central Arkansas
    That's great! They sound like my kid of people.[​IMG]

4. hatchaholic

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    DH said next time he'd be sure to roll the egg in poop to get it nice and warm! LOL!![​IMG]

5. the simple life

the simple life Chillin' With My Peeps

There seems to alot of that going around, I have been reading about that very same prank in different threads in the past two weeks.

My sex links are 20 weeks and aren't laying yet.

6. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Next time they should warm the egg up first [​IMG]

7. hatchaholic

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:Good, I don't feel so bad now!!

8. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

16-20 weeks isn't really a rule. Maybe for productoin strains of white leghorns. Expect more on average of 20-24 weeks, or more, since days are getting shorter.

9. chickenma

chickenma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I know what you feel.
    I'm waiting for my 1st egg and I told the chickens that their time is almost up.
    They better lay an egg soon.
    My kids are teasing me with some plastic easter eggs in the nestbox. Mommy you have an egg.[​IMG]

10. hatchaholic

Jul 23, 2008
    South Carolina
    Quote:With my kind of luck, they'll probably wait until the very last minute. I think they are doing it to torture me. LOL [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by