Not... :( Getting a 'bator for Christmas

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by wegotchickens, Nov 7, 2007.

1. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Mom called, wanting the 'wish-list' for everyone in my family. When I told her I wanted an incubator she laughed. Then I said I was serious, but not to tell DH. She laughed even harder and said, "You're going to be the death of that man!" I said, "No, I'm the reason his life is interesting to ther people!" She laughed even harder, then said it would probably be hard to find one this time of year. I pointed out that, since she's going to Atlanta to shop, she could probably find one on clearance for the winter. She stopped laughing and got thoughtful.
    Then I told her lots of DH chicken stories so she'd know how much he really enjoys our peeps.

Keep your fingers crossed!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2007
  2. Smitty's Farm

Smitty's Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    That would be an awesome x-mas present. What kind of breeds will you hatch?

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I was antique shopping the other day. I went in this one shop and I went crazy over this cabinet incubator! It was brass and copper with legs like a high boy dresser. 3 shelves with a hatcher tray on the bottom. Glass doors inside so when you opened the main doors you could see inside without messing with the temps. I'm trying to figure out how to get the pictures off my mom's camera phone. She doesn't have a media package with her service. But if I had the money I would have snatched it up in a heartbeat! They wanted $675. for it but it was beautiful and looked to be in perfect condition.

4. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    That's a good questions.
    I'd like a few more Silkie hens.
    I'd also like some Welsummers for their very brown eggs.

But mostly I'd like to get a couple of Araucanas or true Americaunas. I just love the personalities of my EE girls.

Our only roo is a silkie, so importing some eggs for Welsummers and Araucanas is a must.

I'd like to get some show-quality birds, and I don't have that with any but the Buff's. They were prettier than any other BO's I saw at the fair!

It's so much fun to dream!
    And I even have back-up homes for those I can't keep. Finding our spare Silkie roo a home brought other wanna-be chicken oowners out of the closet in my area...

5. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Quote:Sounds wonderful. But I hope Mom can find one for around 1/10 the cost, cause no WAY am I getting a $700 antique 'bator for X-mas! [​IMG]

I dream, but not that big...

6. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:That sounds beautiful! Are you thinking about getting it?

7. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    Quote:We have an old incubator that belonged to my husband's grandfather. I don't even know if it works, but I have been interested in taking the next chicken plunge to try to hatch some babies.

I have EE also and really love their personality. They remind me of cuddly cats. I just love them. Well, I love all my chickens, but I do think the EE have the most personality. I would also like some true blue eggers like the Americana or Araucanas. What color eggs do your EE lay?

The only rooster I have is a surprise SLW. He is a beautiful, prissy boy.

It is a lot of fun to dream.

8. wegotchickens

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    Both my girls lay lovely mint green eggs. I think there's a pic of DH holding one on my personal pages. They are the exact color of the green milk-glass chickens Mom gave me...

If I don't get an incubator for X-mas I may have to try building one. I thought about getting one of those itty bitty ones that they sell for schools that only hold 4 eggs. I don't mind going slow, and buying one would be easier than making one without DH's help. He won't help. He'll enjoy the babies and the project of raising and rehoming them, but he won't help with the incubator. He's a very passive enabler [​IMG]

But he knows I'm dreaming about this and that I WILL hatch out chicks eventually. He just hopes to postpone the eventuality!

9. Smitty's Farm

Aug 24, 2007
    St Clair County, Il
    I have 5 EE. I have 3-4 that lay pretty green eggs. My favorite girl "Brownie" lays a pinkish tan colored egg. I really would love to have a blue egg layer.

The small incubator sounds good. I guess I need to ask my hubby where the old incubator is. I need to do more research before I tackle a hatching project, but it does sound like fun. It would be nice to have one that actally turns the eggs for you.

Keep us posted on your new project. It sounds so exciting! I'll let you know if I can get hubby to dig up the old incubator.

10. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    That's what I asked Santa for Christmas too!....GQF circulated air Hovabator with auto-turner (wafer thermo start)....I sound like that movie where the poor kid wanted the bbgun for xmas...lol

Last edited: Nov 8, 2007

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by