Not getting eggs every day. Something i can fix?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jferlisi, Jan 2, 2011.

1. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    So right now i have 4 pullets that are laying. One is broody so i know i wont get any from her. But im not getting eggs ever day. I should be getting about 2 a day atm but 2 days ago i only got one, yesterday got 2 and today i haven't gotten a single one. My two leghorns are laying, my silkie is broody and i think either my SLW or my other silkie is laying, (Not sure about which it is). But the past few days we have been making a bigger coop, and yesterday we made then new boxes so i dont know if its cause of all the commotion in there coop or what. I have walked the property looking for eggs and i couldn't find anything, i looked in the trees, bushes and everything. If anyone could help me out with any suggestions it would help out alot.

2. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    If they are just starting out, they will not lay every day. And even when they are older, they might not lay every day. It depends on the breed. Also take in consideration the amount of light they get in a day, stress, diet,health. You might want to keep them confined to the coop when they first start to lay. So they know to lay in the boxes and not in the yard. But my guess is if they are just getting started, they will not lay every day.

3. Jferlisi

Jferlisi i dont eat chicken!!!!

Nov 2, 2010
    Menifee CA
    My one leghorn has been laying for over a month and has been laying about 5 eggs a week even with the light and she has always layed in the box but one time. My other two who are laying have only been laying for the last week. But i have only gotten an egg from both of them in the last week.

4. swimmer

swimmer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2010
    Utah
    When a few of my birds started to lay, I would also get one egg a week for a couple of weeks. One gave me two eggs in one day. It's perfectly normal for them to be irregular at the beginning. As for the leghorn, mabye it's the coop construction that's making her off. But some days you won't get an egg with their egg cycle. My EE gives me an egg every day, but every now and then, I don't get one.

5. palochknldy

palochknldy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Palo, Iowa
    We have 4 girls and we get anywhere from 1 to 4 eggs a day. We are not using any additional light and a couple eggs a day is better than none!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by