not getting to the nest box in time

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chillz, Aug 7, 2014.

1. chillz

chillz New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    Iowa
    My chickens just started laying a couple weeks ago. A couple times this week we have found a broken egg on the floor of the coop, which they then start eating ( I don't want that habit to start too!). They roost on top of their coop at night. I'm ASSUMING what is happening is she's not getting down to her nest in time, therefore the egg falls to the floor. Is this something that happens with new layers? and should I be worrying about them turning into egg eaters? Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    It's common in new layers as well as old layers getting started back after being off for molting.

3. Angiebubs

Angiebubs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    Also do you have enough nest boxes? As I have seen this happening when there is a line up for nest boxes. I have 6 boxes for 23 hens however, they all seem to think there is a "best" box and will prance around etc until it is available. However, I have seen a more dominant hen come along and chase a less dom out of the nest and the less dom hen then is startled and drops/lays her egg.

4. chillz

chillz New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    Iowa
    There's 14 boxes and we only have 6 chickens (started out small for starters)

5. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    LOL So that is NOT the problem!!! And yes, when new layers start laying, they haven't quite figured out what is happening but that usually resolves itself within a week or two. Since they usually lay an egg every 22-24 hours, it may be that shes at the point in the cycle earlier in the morning and hasnt figured this out yet.

As far as them becoming egg eaters from this-I haven't had that happen. They are like a mob though when they see a broken egg!!! For some reason, they haven't equated a broken egg with a egg in the box.

Good luck!

6. chillz

chillz New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    Iowa
    thank you, that makes me feel better!

7. zoochick

zoochick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2013
    Our hens just started laying this week. So far we have 4 eggs. I think they are from 3 different hens though. Does egg color change at first (darken or lighten)? All but 1 egg I found in the run also (one was in a nest box). Will they get better about laying in the nest box?

8. Angiebubs

Aug 19, 2011
    Amery, WI WI/MN border
    You can encourage laying in the nest boxes in a couple of ways. First do you know what time of day they are laying them? Usually hens lay in the mornings but mine are mostly noon/early afternoon layers. If you know what time of day they lay, you can try to lock them up in the coop during this time to encourage laying in the boxes. Another trick is to put golf balls into the nest boxes to encourage laying there. They will all want to lay where the others laid -so I would also put any eggs found on the ground into a nest box immediately so the others will follow.

Egg color: the color can fade slightly over their laying period-both for the season and as they get older. What I mean is: After a break over the winter, I have noticed the egg color is darker, as the spring/summer goes on, the eggs will get lighter/less pigmentation. Also, your older hens eggs will be lighter than when they first started laying. I have a 4 yr old Orpington and her eggs are a lot lighter than when she first started laying. (Size will also get bigger as they get older)

9. chillz

chillz New Egg

Aug 7, 2014
    Iowa
    I have found that color gets darker the longer they lay. I put ping pong balls in the nests and I haven't had a problem with them laying on the floor or in random places.

10. zoochick

zoochick Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2013
    I do have ceramic eggs in the boxes thankfully! Thanks for the advice. I think my girls will be late morning/afternoon layers for now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by