not going in coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by pugglecluck, Nov 14, 2014.

1. pugglecluck

pugglecluck Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    chicken court road
    I have six chickens. They usually all go in the coop at night, but for that last few days, only the flock leader has gone in the coop. It is the start of winter and they have never seen snow before, if that helps. What is happening???????[​IMG][​IMG] We don't want them to get eaten by a fox.[​IMG]

2. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Tell us more about how you keep your chickens:
    How big is your coop(feet by feet)?
    How big and long is your roost?

I'm assuming from your avatar they are all the same age and grew up together, but how old are they now?
    What is your climate? Putting your location in your profile can help folks give better answers and advice.

3. pugglecluck

pugglecluck Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    chicken court road
    Thank you for awnsering, aart!

The run is 10 by 16, and the coop is a little more than 5 by 5,not including the nesting boxes.
    The roosts are about 4 feet, and we have 2 outside, 2 inside.
    The chickies are all the same age, and are 7 months old, and they stopped going in a week or so after we switched from pine shavings to 1\2 pine, 1\2 hay. They've seen hay before though, in their nesting boxes.
    In our climate the summers are really (emphasis on really) hot, and the Winters are cold, and the springs are very rainy, and the falls get really windy.
    I hope this helps!!

UPDATE: two of our chickens have started going in, but the rest are still staying out, all on the same roost.[​IMG][​IMG] What????

Last edited: Nov 16, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by