Not going into coop at night??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by carolinachickie, Jan 13, 2013.

1. carolinachickie

carolinachickie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    South Carolina
    We have 4 juvenile Silkies and they are not going into their coop when it gets dark outside. I have to corner them in the pen and put them one by one in the coop every night. They are roughly about 8 weeks old. Our neighbors have chickens and they say they have never had any problems with their chickens not going into their coop at night on their own. Their coop is also a lot higher up and the ramp is a lot steeper than our, so I don't know what the problem could be with ours? Are they just too young yet to do this or are we missing something? Any advice or tips would be great..Thanks!

2. TheSpiceGirls

TheSpiceGirls Overrun With Chickens

Oct 6, 2010
    Bay Area, CA
    Sometimes they just need to be shown what to do at night. Keep showing them. I'll bet they get the drill after 5-7 nights.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Just keep chasing them in there and physically put them in there if needed. Outside at night is not a good place for a chicken. They'll learn.

4. carolinachickie

carolinachickie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 2, 2013
    South Carolina
    Ok thanks. Hopefully they learn soon. I have to make sure I'm home everyday at dusk to put them away. I wouldn't dare leave them out all night or they might end up as raccoon dinner!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by