1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not going to bed...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by pixiechick44, Aug 2, 2011.

1. pixiechick44

pixiechick44 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2011
    Hello every one Im new to this,its my first time on here.....I have Four 7 week old chicks,they have been in the coop for over a week now and they will not put them selves to bed.....I have tried no light,with a light on....Iv tried giving them a bed time snack,and no bed time snack....Ive tried just leaving them untill it gets dark out...They just hang arond the fence waiting for me to put them it...Has anyone got anything else I can try...[​IMG][​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Usually people say if they put them in every night for a week or so, they get the idea and go on their own. I've never had this problem.

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I always have to put my new babies in the coop when it gets dark. It's pretty normal for them to cluster together in the dark and peep.

Wait until dark, so they're very easy to catch. (They will be still and you can just pick them up easily).

Don't worry, one of these days you will go out there at bedtime, and TA-DAAAAA! They'll all be in. It won't be long.

4. hcppam

hcppam Chillin' With My Peeps

You have to put them to bed for a couple of weeks before they get the idea, I also put them on their roost when I did it. [​IMG] Hello, from Big Bear Ca. [​IMG]

5. SunnyDawn

SunnyDawn Sun Lovin' Lizard

Sep 12, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Unfortunately I have had this problem before. There is no other way to do it other than to put them in for the night for awhile til they get the idea. Otherwise you can try leaving them shut in the coop for a few days hoping they get the hint but if it's really hot where you are I wouldn't try this just yet. Usually they get the idea within the week but I did have some Ameraucana juveniles once that didn't figure it out til for 3 weeks! [​IMG] That was no fun!

BTW, welcome to BYC from Nevada! [​IMG]

6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Have you tried leaving them locked in the coop with no access to the run for about a week so they get used to sleeping in the coop?

Another option. Can you lure them in the coop and out of the run about an hour before bedtime and leave them locked in the coop until they go to bed? Same principle. Just get them in the habit of putting themselves to bed by themselves where you want them to.

And don't worrry about them roosting or not. At 7 weeks, they might start roosting at night in the next few days, or they may wait another couple of months to start. It doesn't really matter. They are happy on the ground keeping each other company.

7. Axle Quails

Axle Quails Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    London
    Quote:same mine just finds the coop at night and she jumps in lol i was like werent i ment to show you lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by