Not growing, lethargic chick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cbasser, Mar 21, 2012.

1. cbasser

cbasser New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    NW Florida
    Hi, I am new to chickens and just got a little Buckeye a week and a half ago. I'm needing some help and advice. Last Saturday my Buckeye started looking sick. She pasted up and I cleaned her off. Later I noticed she had wandered off to the corner of the brooder all puffed up and very sleepy. She wasn't eating for drinking so I separated her. I didn't think she would make it through the night but she did. I treated the next day for coccidiosis with Corid. She is eating and drinking and pooping now but she is much smaller than all the other chicks I got at the same time and still seems tired. It sits while eating and peeps quite a bit more than everyone else. Is this just because of her illness or is there still something wrong with her? Thanks for any input. Cathy

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  2. MustLoveHens

MustLoveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Albion, Wisconsin
    Hi and welcome to BYC. I have brooded tons of chicks and every once in a while you get one like this. They are small, sleepy, peepy and just un-thrifty. Since you have already treated her with Corid, you might try adding some vitamins and electrolytes with sugar in her water. See if this perks her up. I had a chance to meet a show chicken owner last night at a seminar and as we talked this subject came up. He told me to mix a drop of molassas (sp?) in a gallon of water. It is the same as adding sugar in the water plus it ads in iron. I have yet to try this method since I just got this tip and I have no punkie chicks. I'd give it a try.
    Unfortunately, from my experience, sadly these types of chicks don't generally make it.
    HTH and Good luck

3. cbasser

cbasser New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    NW Florida
    Thank you for the reply. I actually gave her molasses water the night I didn't think she would make it. I'll try adding some vitamins.

4. cbasser

cbasser New Egg

Mar 21, 2012
    NW Florida
    So, after much research I think my chick has a plugged vent. I am trying all the suggestions (i.e. molasses water, butt soaks, massage) nothing is working. She gets small amounts of poop out but the area beneath her vent is rock hard.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by