Not happy with the farm supply store

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mixitup, Apr 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mixitup

mixitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, I finally have the barn all set up for the chickens this am. But, I am so mad! I had called the feed store on Tues and again on Fri to set up what I wanted. Feeders, waterers, poultry fencing and feed. Now, personally, I do not like the pellets and wanted grain type feed. I expressley told them that I would be sending my husband to pick up my order and that's why I wanted everything set up beforehand.

My husband came home with - huge waterers that they will never finish and I will have to throw tons of water out (each waterer was for 3 chickens each), huge feeders that the mice will probably get into, 50' of poultry fencing when they charged him for 100', and pellet feed for two different kinds that I bought! I was so mad!

Well, with 25 min left until the store closed he went back to the store. They wouldn't exchange the feeders or waterer because they were for poultry even though they knew he couldn't possibly have used them and it was their fault because it wasn't what I ordered. They wouldn't take the feed back, but they did give him another 50' roll of fencing. I will be calling tomorrow am when they open to give them a piece of my mind. I am still so mad-especially over the darn pellets!! Sorry folks, just had to rant!

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  2. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    If you can't return them, make the best of it. you can run your pellets in the blender and they will be crumbles again., put marbles or fish rocks in the waterers to prevent the chicks from drowing. You might like the larger waterers later when it is hot and you can fill them with ice. I hear chickens eat mice so perhaps the occasional mouse will be eaten by the chickens. I live in Florida and we have lizards everywere but I have none anywhere around my house or the chicken coop - they love em! I think you will want the larger sized stuff later when your chicks are grown. It is horrible your order was messed up and they should do right by you!

Caroline

3. ignatz

ignatz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Nunya
    You should have gone yourself. It seems you were the one expecting someone else to know *exactly* what you wanted without you actually being there to show/point it out to them and now you're mad because they couldn't read your mind and get it *exactly* how *you* wanted. Why didn't *you* go back after you saw all the things that were wrong instead of sending someone else...again?

Nowhere in your post do you mention any of this was for chicks or grown birds. Did you mention to the store either of these things?

A 'waterer' for 3 chickens? Never heard of such, but either way, how is that a "huge waterer that they will never finish"?

"Huge feeders that the mice will probably get into". Probably? You're mad because of a 'maybe'? Unless you plan to keep cats tied up around the coop or have a hermetically sealed coop, there's going to be some mice. As others have mentioned, chickens will eat a mouse faster than you can blink an eye, if given a chance, and unless you think there's simply going to be a virtual army of mice, a couple of mice won't make a difference in how much feed is taken out of a feeder.

"pellet feed for two different kinds that I bought!"...what does that mean?

No farm supply store worth their weight in gold will accept returns on chicken supplies because too many people do *NOT* practice safety in their yards and flocks from chicken diseases. If anything, you should tell them to put up signs around the chicken supply area(s) saying they cannot accept returns *because* of those reasons. You'd be helping them and other consumers by getting them to do that.

The only thing they should do to 'right' this problem is give you another 50' of fencing that was paid for but you didn't get. Of course all we're hearing is one side of the story and so have to comment on what we have read so far.

4. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio

I agree 110%. There is two old saying that come to mind when I read mixitup's post,

If you want something done right, do it yourself!

and my personal favorite

If you want your eggs hatched, sit on them yourself!

Chris

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: Water won't "spoil" so why throw it out?
    Just because it's "big" doesn't mean you have to fill it to the top

Same with the feeders.
    Mice will get into anything
    If they hold "too much" DON'T FILL IT FULL

Most feed stores don't sell whole grains anyway other than corn or oats.
    You need a feed MILL if you want whole grain only

6. mixitup

mixitup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    Well, since I have been at this store lots of times and I ordered specifically what I wanted, it was supposed to be ready to just pick up, maybe you guys should relax as well. Perhaps if you had read the first paragraph correctly, you would have read that I called two times to have everything ordered and ready for p/u.

Yes-a waterer for 3 chickens- I don't need a 5 gallon waterer- a gallon waterer would have been sufficient-which is what I ordered. And if you've never heard of such, maybe you should look a little better at the feed stores. Since the store knew what I ordered and everything was to be ready for pick up only-yes they knew exactly what I wanted for chickens. They deleted my order and made up one of their own. Duh!

Personally, I do not like pellets-at all. There are pellets in every type of feed you buy. I bought grower/finisher and layer food-yes two different kinds of food. Check your feed store if you think you can only buy one kind of food for chickens.

And maybe in the US they don't sell grains, but they do in Canada. Not everything has to be based as to what you can buy in the US at your local feed store. Feed stores are different in Canada than the US. Check where I live.

I can buy Omega 3, mega mash, layer food, grower/finisher-all in grain form-not pellets.

And yes, if I thought my order was not complete, I would have gone myself-DUH again. I expect what I order to be filled to my specifications-especially when I talk to them two times.

I did call and they wanted to exchange everything because they knew I was po'd, but I already used everything as I couldn't let them go without food and water. BUT, when he returns less than a half hour later (more like 15 min) common sense would say that he hadn't used them. You do have common sense, right?

And the watering pail will get slimey. If you have never checked this, maybe you should check your waterers more often.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
  7. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    You should finish filling out your profile box because it does not state your location.

I'm well aware of the types of feed that is on the market here and in Canada.

On a side note the "DUH" thing that you like used in your post really makes you sound very childish.

Chris

1 person likes this.
  8. Chicky Babe

Chicky Babe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Morgan County, Kentucky
    I am sorry for all those hostile replies. My favorite saying came from Bambi, if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all! I would have been frustrated as well. Hope all calms down soon hun!

9. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: I have enough of that to take my list to the store myself and get what I want.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 24, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  10. Chickenpoor

Chickenpoor Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2011
    Westminster, SC
    I hope this don't sound to rude because I dont mean to be but I have to agree with everyone else. If you want something done right, do it yourself. You shouldn't have called them to set up a pick-up order. You should have went your self when you were ready for the materials and feed and then since you were there in person that would have prevented any mix-ups and misunderstandings. That's just my 2 cents worth.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by