Not have much luck with TSC chicks at the moment...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wornoutmomto3, Feb 26, 2015.

1. wornoutmomto3

wornoutmomto3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have purchased 4 RIR, 1 BO, 2 NN Turken, 4 pullets, and 4 ducklings from TSC. So far, I have lost one duckling and one chick. Now, my two turkens are very weak and nearly all the chicks have pasty butt. The only ones that don't are the NN Turkens. One of the Turkens barely wants to move and appears close to death's door. They have been under a warm heat lamp since arriving home. There is chick starter feed available and vitamins in their water. The turkens have just wanted to lay under the heat lamp and sleep, but the others just trample all over them. I have had to separate them for their own safety.

The chicks I hatched myself two weeks ago had non of these issues. (They are in a different brooder.) What can I do to encourage these chicks to stop dying and start thriving?

2. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    I would make sure that you dip their beaks in the water and watch them drink a bit ( you probably already know this, just covering the bases!). I would give the pasty buts a warm bath and maybe give a little of a chick - safe treat like yougurt or oatmeal to make sure they aren't running on empty. Hope it helps!

3. wornoutmomto3

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    I don't have any yogurt at the moment, but I have heard of scrambling an egg for them. Do you think that will work, if I can get them to eat it?

4. ChickenGoesRuff

ChickenGoesRuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2015
    Iowa
    Totally! I've fed my chicks scrambled eggs before and they loved it. You also don't need to add grit unless you feel you should. I've never had to add grit to mine, though.

5. wornoutmomto3

Jan 6, 2014
    Florida
    My Coop
    The weak chick did not survive the night. The other NN Turken has made it through, but there is still a long way to go. I can get it to drink, but not eat. I am heading out later today to get some yogurt. Hopefully, the little one will perk up some more and soon.
    This is my fourth year raising chicks, but first with TSC chicks. I have never had these issues in the past, and I mean never. I seriously dislike loosing chicks for any reason, but especially when I don't know what is happening and can't seem to stop it.

6. mle022

mle022 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2014
    CA
    I just picked up some chicks from TSC yesterday and I have one that isn't eating crumbles. I feel your pain. I hope the rest of yours will be okay! [​IMG]

7. RitzHomestead

RitzHomestead Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 19, 2015
    Marble Hill, GA
    The 10 chicks that I picked up from TSC are doing very well, my experience at TSC is what I didn't like but luckily the chicks are doing great! I hope yours do better!

8. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    At this time of year, it's very possible the chicks got chilled during transit from the hatchery to TSC. Sometimes they survive the trip but then die off the next couple of days and/or suffer ill effects (pasty butt, slow growth).

I would recommend some apple cider vinegar in their drinking water, as it helps the pH and microflora balance of the gut, and also helps with pasty butt. Use 1 tablespoon per gallon of water. Don't use this in a metal waterer.

I hope things turn around for your chicks. It's heartbreaking when they die, and a very helpless feeling when you can't stop it from happening. [​IMG]

9. tjo804

tjo804 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2014
    Cedar Creek, Texas
    I agree ACV with the mother and I would use it in the water and soak non medicated chick feed (fermented feed) and feed that as well as the scrambled eggs. The ACV helps with pasty butts and I also use it with my Layers if they show signs of poo on feathers.

Good luck

10. foggyforkfarm

foggyforkfarm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2015
    Southwestern VA
    I had the same issue but from a local breeder. I ground up my chick starter to a fine powder and put them in my old hovabator incubator at 95 degrees for two day until they were all up bouncing around good. They did horrible in the brooder. I thought they were going to die. Several of my chicks cant eat the starter unless its ground up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by