Not in the doghouse but in the run!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sam The Yam, Apr 24, 2009.

1. Sam The Yam

Sam The Yam Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    My brooder hutch has evolved into having a temporary attached run that I can let the chicks out in when I am out with them early in the morning before work or in the evening after work. Recently I found myself in the run with my 9 year old helping her get used to the chicks. I look forward to building my new small coop and I want you all to know that I really enjoy looking at all the varieties of coop construction out there. What some great talent there is and some cool designs. Thank you for giving me many great ideas. I can't wait to get my done and post it!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    Cool [​IMG] Love the chair & head space! [​IMG]

3. Sam The Yam

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Yes, it's certainly not fancy, it's cramped, but is a good temporary run and it's fun. My daughter and I are enjoying it. I am limited on space in my yard so my new coop will be long and narrow along that same block wall and into my garden spot. The chair is also a step stool to get out of the run. Pretty versatile huh!

4. chilling in muscadine

chilling in muscadine { I love being disfunctual }

Jun 8, 2008
    muscadine, al.
    As long as it works, I don't think your chickens will mind. I have 11 larger coops and 15 or so smaller ones. After awhile you have to get creative. [​IMG] Just today my SO went and disassembled a metal storage building. I bet you can't figure out what I'm gonna put in there? [​IMG]

5. Lil Chickie Mama

Lil Chickie Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    California
    Hey what are those two really big chicks doing in the center without a roof? [​IMG] Seriously though, very nice.

6. Sam The Yam

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Yes, quite a site are we just hanging out with the chicks in the run. Kind of cramped right now for humans but have got my plans in the works for the real coop.
    [​IMG]

7. Sequin

Sequin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    I just adore that picture of you and your daughter!!!! It is one of those that she will look at, after she is all grown up, and remember the wonderful times she shared with her father. It really makes me think of how my dad used to share stuff with me when I was growing up. Thank you for sharing these photos with us!!!! *starts walking down memory lane...***

8. Sam The Yam

Apr 4, 2009
    Arizona
    Quote:Thank you. She really has been fun to have help me with them. In fact, she was with me the day I bought them, and I wasn't quite ready for them yet but she really wanted them that day so how could I resist (plus I was anxious too!). She helps me with them and when she gets home from school she can let them out in the run so that when I get home they are already out and have had some free range time. She is a little scared around them because they are flighty and skittish and so that was why I was trying to help her get used to being close to them. She is definitely a fun little girl to have in my life. I appreciate your sweet response.

9. Big dreams

Big dreams Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Super dad, super daughter and its all about fun, right? I am sure it is, fun, fun, fun, love the pictures. Kids are so cool. I love em all.[​IMG][​IMG]

10. Shared Acres

Shared Acres Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Northeast Fla
    Cute, glad you are doing something as a family!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by