not layin yet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lvesdg1, Nov 27, 2010.

1. lvesdg1

lvesdg1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2009
    St Petersburg
    hello my girls are about 6 or 7 months now when should they start to lay. i live in FL so i am not sure about the winter layin. also about the fake egg i dont have any but i do have plastic easter eggs you know the colored 1s you hide outside will 1 of those work?lol

not sure of the breed but i think they are red amercian rocks or something real close to that here a pic from when they was younger
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 27, 2010
  2. J.Pryce

J.Pryce Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Ypsilanti
    They will work, as do golf balls.

3. sben451

sben451 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Anniston, AL
    What breed are your hens? I have Welsummers, plus a couple of mixes who are 7 months old. Still awaiting the first eggs from these hens. I have raised Welsummers before and do not remember waiting this long for the first eggs. I'm in Alabama and we have not had much cold weather yet.

4. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    Hang in there. Our 7 month old girls just started laying this week. We got our first egg this Tuesday and the second egg came Thursday. We've been getting one egg a day since. I'm guessing the eggs are coming from the same girl. Good luck!

5. lvesdg1

lvesdg1 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2009
    St Petersburg
    Quote:Not sure of the breed i forgot but i think they are american red rock or somethng to that
    [​IMG]

6. halo

halo Got The Blues

Nov 22, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Did you read the sticky at the top of the page? Also, they really dont look like they are mature enough. Their combs should be big and red when they are about to lay.

Edit to say I just saw where you said those were earlier pictures of them.

7. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Ah, I can see you're new here. [​IMG] First of all, I'm pretty sure that those are Red Sexlinks. It's perfectly normal for them to not be laying yet, I have two that are 8 months old and still not laying. And one is the world's most productive breed. Be patient, some time it'll have to come out. Their face and comb need to be pretty red, and that's a good way to tell when they're close to laying. It should look about like this--

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by