Not laying after I broke her broodiness?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mama24, Jun 14, 2011.

1. mama24

mama24 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    GSO, NC
    I have a 2yo red sex link that went broody last week. She was trying to hatch some golf balls. [​IMG] Her favorite laying spot where she was sitting was a flowerpot, so I completely took it away to cure her of her broodiness. She hasn't laid an egg that I can find since then. I have looked everywhere and haven't found a hidden nest. I put her flowerpot back and put the golf balls back in it a few days ago. Nothing. What's up? Is this normal and she'll start laying again, or should have the kids check every inch of our (wooded and bamboo filled!) yard to see if she's hidden a nest? The other hen who liked to share the flowerpot has kept on laying every single day, but she's using the nice nesting box instead of the flowerpot. lol

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Hello! Broodiness is a sort of hormonal thing that comes over a hen, and they do stop laying during their broody spell. It might take a bit of time for her to begin laying. That is normal! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by