not laying and i'm worried

lowerowe

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 8, 2008
melbourne, australia
i have a beautiful Isa brown, she is about 30 weeks old now and her sister is already laying (everyday) but she refuses to lay. my other australorps are about 2 week off laying so not worried about them but henny penny should've given some eggs by now,

can anyone help?

18191_img_1780.jpg

henny penny. (non layer)

18191_img_1777.jpg

chicken little (the layer)

Is the color of the combs the same? Looks like chicken little has red comb and waddles. Give Henny some higher protein, maybe some poultry power punch , vitamin C. Mine free range and did not get as many bugs or worm because of the dry weather here. I finally put them on 24% protein, vitamins, some power punch in their water and most of the 5-6 month-olds are stalking the nests w/ red combs and waddles. Also feed prices were and are high for 24% so I quit at 8 weeks when I usually give them it for 14 weeks. She is pretty. I am more traditional on breeds, but she is pretty.

Are they free ranging at all? If so, she could be laying somewhere out of your range of view. Take a look around in the oddest places and you might find a stash. Beautiful girls you have though.

I have a pullet that was hatched ahead of another group. The second group started to lay and then she did. Some breeds mature quicker than others. 30 weeks is a long time. Do you have light on for added hours of light? Has she recently molted? I also learned recently that one day w/o water can prevent laying for 2 weeks. I am in NO way saying you did something wrong. I am only saying that there are so many things that can affect there systems. I was shocked about the water. I will be more diligent to take care of the frozen waterer more often.
Good luck though. Someone may have more info for you though. There are a lot of great people here with far more experience than I.

Quote:
nah, water not problem as they all drink from same container. changed each day. no light either we have very long days at moment in australia (daylight savings) don't think she molted. i think she just hates me ...... lol

Quote:
yeah, no free ranging yet, they are still getting used to coop and run. also i have a dog......... kinda, it's a pug! I'm scared they'll peck her to death!

So sorry I just assumed you were my neighbor in snowy NY. hehehe!
I dont think chickens can hate, Okay maybe a roo.
wink.png

Funny pic in my head now of your pug being chased by chickens! ROFLOL
I am sorry, I am no help. I can just encourage you by my late pullet story. I do agree with upping the protien though. Especially if they do not free range. Mine are also in a run and I did indeed do the same.

I have two that are not laying yet, when their sisters have been laying for up to 12 weeks or more. Chickens are individuals. I bet she'll start laying soon.

My black cochins weren't laying at all a few weeks ago. The older ones has just come through a molt, but the pullets were well within laying age.

I started them on gamebird feed with the higher protein and as of yesterday I got 6 eggs out of 7 hens!! Nothing else changed...except everyday we have less and less sunlight. I have red lights on in one of the pens because there are younguns' in that one but I don't think the red light makes a difference in extending daytime hours.

No the red lights are good for heat and avoiding picking though. I have to switch my lights after 10 pm. I have red on all day for warmth and the white heat lamp to extend the daylight a few hours a day.

Back
Top Bottom