Not laying and molting in the summer?

RedBreasted

Songster
8 Years
Sep 21, 2014
Hello,

It’s been a while since I’ve posted here. I only post if there’s something unusual going on in my flock. Anyways, let’s get this started. If this sounds like a normal behavior then I’m sorry, I’m still learning.

One of my one-year-old Easter Egger hens haven’t laid an egg since the first week of this month (July 2019). What’s worse is that she’s molting which is unusual because the others seems to act fine and I’ve only seen molt happening around fall to winter. I have 11 hens if that’s important.

She’s also acting normal like eating and drinking properly. Just not laying and started molting.

Thank you so much for your help! If you need more information, I can provide more.

@RedBreasted I'm going through the same thing. At first I thought the stress of the heat and humidity was affecting them. I have 5 hens, the SLW is molting. The Welsummer and one of my EEs are just not laying, the other EE is in a cage to heal a broken beak. She's been consistently laying, even through winter! I just let the SS out of a broody breaker cage and she returned to laying three days ago. All of these girls except the EE in the cage went through a molt last winter! My girls are 3 and I'm still learning things about them!

Me too! I've been getting 1-3 eggs a day off and on, for the last month or so, from my 7 layers. No feather loss yet but my layers are a little over 1 year and have never been this inconsistent. I even started purchasing layer feed for them a month back. Also have two that keep going broody. :tongue I figured they may be getting ready for a molt, they are due. Hoping my pullets start laying soon. At this point I am paying $60. in feed for a few dozen eggs a month.

One of my one-year-old Easter Egger hens haven’t laid an egg since the first week of this month (July 2019).
12-18 months old right now? Some birds are more sensitive to the days shortening than others.

What’s worse is that she’s molting which is unusual because the others seems to act fine and I’ve only seen molt happening around fall to winter.
I've had a few molt early too, usually the cockbirds is the first to molt, am seeing a few feathers now.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-7-25_8-0-5.png

Hello,

It’s been a while since I’ve posted here. I only post if there’s something unusual going on in my flock. Anyways, let’s get this started. If this sounds like a normal behavior then I’m sorry, I’m still learning.

One of my one-year-old Easter Egger hens haven’t laid an egg since the first week of this month (July 2019). What’s worse is that she’s molting which is unusual because the others seems to act fine and I’ve only seen molt happening around fall to winter. I have 11 hens if that’s important.

She’s also acting normal like eating and drinking properly. Just not laying and started molting.

Thank you so much for your help! If you need more information, I can provide more.
I also figured this was a great time to worm them ALL along with other housekeeping.

Back
Top Bottom