Not laying anymore...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ryajs, Nov 10, 2016.

1. ryajs

ryajs Just Hatched

Nov 10, 2016
    My leghorn and easter egg er have not been laying for a cpl months. MAYBE an egg here or there but pracially never. They are only 2 and a half years old... is this normal or what thinges can cause this??

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    This is pretty normal for my flock at this time of year. They could either be molting or just laying less because chickens naturally take a "break" in the winter time due to lack of sunlight. There is always the possibility that something is wrong though I tend to doubt it. Are any of your birds acting irregular?

3. twinsmom6

twinsmom6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2016
    Southern Arizona
    I am no expert but the weather, less daylight, or adding stressor like new chickens, or coop invasion.. I think lots of things can stress them out.. I am not sure how to fix it other than patience and see if there are any new stresses that you can relieve for them. add some more light to the coop to extend daylight hours... make sure feed is good..

4. ryajs

ryajs Just Hatched

Nov 10, 2016

5. ryajs

ryajs Just Hatched

Nov 10, 2016
    They are all acting normal... but I did think maybe the weather ... but it has been going on longer than it has been cold. However,I am certain they were molting at the end of the summer. Could be molting then the weather?

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Molting is definitely a cause for egg reduction (molting and then the weather/season is most likely the reasons). Like twinsmom6 said you could try a light in the coop (some people do it) but I personally think it just complicates things.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's not the cold, it's the reduction in daylight length.

Could be other factors also, nutrition, stress(many forms).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by