NOt Laying Eggs?!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Poultrypicker, Jan 14, 2010.

1. Poultrypicker

Poultrypicker New Egg

Jan 14, 2010
    Winterville, NC
    I have a number of hens that should be laying eggs. We've had some pretty cold days, but others I've talked to have had snow and are still getting eggs. I haven't gotten a single egg since before Thanksgiving. I've feeding a mix of Dumor Layer pellets and scratch grains. They get collards and cabbage from the farmer near by. They free range, but not often, as it's often just day light when I leave for work, and dark when I get home. I think about 22 laying hens, but not a single egg! Any suggestions besides whole frying or boiling?

2. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    are you useing artifical light to get 14 hrs of light a day. i have a 40 watt bulb on a timer on at 3am off at 9am mine get about 13 hrs a day of light . im getting anywheres from 12-18 eggs a day . from 21 chickens .

3. Patchesnposies

Patchesnposies Chickens.....are my ONE weakness!

Mar 5, 2008
    Southern New Mexico
    Give them a bit longer. My hens all took a hiatus, too, as they days got shorter. I opted not to supplement light this year, to give them a break. Some of my 2 year old hens molted. While the point of lay pullets just didn't start laying. However, yesterday I got half a dozen eggs! (Out of around 200 hens, lol!) Some were pullet eggs. So I figure we are on the other side of winter and the egg business will pick up from here.

4. WoodChic

WoodChic The Chic Chick

Oct 27, 2009
    KKV HQ
    They could be molting. Our's did that to. No eggs for a while, and they didn't appear to be losing feathers, but after a few months they're picking up again. I'm not sure if it was molting, or what it was. Anyway, they're through it!

5. Poultrypicker

Poultrypicker New Egg

Jan 14, 2010
    Winterville, NC
    I used a light for a while, but still didn't get any eggs. They moulted in September. Our weather is warming up a little now, so I will see how things go. If they don't start laying by the end of Feb., then maybe I'll buy some local hens and start over. Thanks, y'all!
    [​IMG]

6. Poultrypicker

Poultrypicker New Egg

Jan 14, 2010
    Winterville, NC
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by