not laying eggs

ballybayboy

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 11, 2011
hi, it's my first time keeping hens and i recently got 5 rhode island reds and was told that they had already completed a cycle of laying. ive had them for about 2 weeks and still no eggs. what is the reason for this?

Hello and Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

It could just be that they are still a bit stressed from their move.

My girls have slowed down their laying due to the heat here. We've been 100+ F for quiet a while.

Chickens hate change, so it does take a bit for them to adjust to new surroundings. But also, it's possible the person you got them from was not quite truthful about their age. Got a picture of them?

they are in a small run at the minute and i hope to build a larger one for them, because i am concerned if i let them out that the wild cats (which there is about ten of and are always hanging about my garden) will go for them?

Last edited:
They are red sex links. They generally look of appropriate age to be laying, but their combs look pale.

There are so many factors that could affect their laying:

They could still be a bit young.
Stress from their move - if they are extremely stressed they could go into a molt and they don't lay eggs while molting.
They could have been undernourished where they were before - that will take time to correct.
Heat could be a factor.
Also, since their combs are pale - I'd check them over for lice. Look around their vent - if they have lice you'll see them crawling around on the skin around the vent.

i checked for lice like you said and didnt seem to find any. I think being undernourished would probably be the best reason because i think they were battery hens for their first cycle of laying. what is the best way to correct this or will i continue what i am doing by feeding them 4oz of layers pellets per hen plus whatever grass and worms they eat from the ground?

Back
Top Bottom