not laying eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ballybayboy, Jul 13, 2011.

1. ballybayboy

ballybayboy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2011
    hi, it's my first time keeping hens and i recently got 5 rhode island reds and was told that they had already completed a cycle of laying. ive had them for about 2 weeks and still no eggs. what is the reason for this?

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Hello and Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

It could just be that they are still a bit stressed from their move.

My girls have slowed down their laying due to the heat here. We've been 100+ F for quiet a while.

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Chickens hate change, so it does take a bit for them to adjust to new surroundings. But also, it's possible the person you got them from was not quite truthful about their age. Got a picture of them?

4. ballybayboy

Jul 11, 2011
    ye sure here is some i took this morning - [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

5. RingedTeal

RingedTeal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Georgiana,Alabama
    I don't think those are rir they are probably a red star.I agree with Happy Chooks

6. ballybayboy

Jul 11, 2011
    ye your probably right! Thanks!

7. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    When I first go my hens(3) I had to wait almost three weeks before they started to lay. They did not start till I let them out to free range.

8. ballybayboy

Jul 11, 2011
    they are in a small run at the minute and i hope to build a larger one for them, because i am concerned if i let them out that the wild cats (which there is about ten of and are always hanging about my garden) will go for them?

Last edited: Jul 14, 2011
  9. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    They are red sex links. They generally look of appropriate age to be laying, but their combs look pale.

There are so many factors that could affect their laying:

They could still be a bit young.
    Stress from their move - if they are extremely stressed they could go into a molt and they don't lay eggs while molting.
    They could have been undernourished where they were before - that will take time to correct.
    Heat could be a factor.
    Also, since their combs are pale - I'd check them over for lice. Look around their vent - if they have lice you'll see them crawling around on the skin around the vent.

10. ballybayboy

Jul 11, 2011
    i checked for lice like you said and didnt seem to find any. I think being undernourished would probably be the best reason because i think they were battery hens for their first cycle of laying. what is the best way to correct this or will i continue what i am doing by feeding them 4oz of layers pellets per hen plus whatever grass and worms they eat from the ground?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by