1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NOT LAYING EGGS!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by purpleblobbob, May 13, 2007.

1. purpleblobbob

purpleblobbob New Egg

May 9, 2007
    My stupid chickens are not laying eggs! I don't know what's wrong, they don't act weird or anything. They pretty much act like chickens! haha yeah so HELP!:eek:

2. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    How old are they, and how long have you had them?? also what breeds??

3. Hope0491

Hope0491 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    VA/PA
    Hey Amy!!

I'm glad you're finally here!! haha

I can answer a couple of those questions... [​IMG]

They are Silkies. She's had them since around Nov... she doesn't know exactly how old they are... she got them as chicks, I believe that's what she told me. They've never laid an egg. That's all I know. haha...

4. Critter Crazy

Critter Crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2007
    Binghamton, NY
    So they are 7 months old, they should be laying by now. But not sure as I have not had any silkies. I know some chickens take longer than others to come into lay.

5. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    I wouldn't worry too much about it with silkies. I have a couple of hens who were over a year old before they layed their first egg. So unless you have all roosters I would think that they will lay eventually.

6. Hope0491

Hope0491 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    VA/PA
    That's what I was thinking... mine didn't start laying until a year old... and the other was 10 months.

7. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yeah, took my silkie hen 8 months to pop out her first egg... and she only does two a week.

8. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

My silkies are close to 8 months and no eggs yet. They are even getting "attention" from the roo! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by