Not laying eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickgirl55, Jul 29, 2008.

1. chickgirl55

chickgirl55 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2007
    My chickens are a little over two years old and just recently (within the past week and a half) have only been giving me one (maybe two if I'm lucky) eggs a day. I have five chickens and usually get 4-5 eggs a day. Has anybody else had this happen? Do you know the reason? Thanks.

2. gamebirdsonly

gamebirdsonly Overrun With Chickens

Mar 5, 2007
    UTAH
    My birds do it, sometimes their going through molt or their just taking a break, could be the temps.

3. dustbath

dustbath Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Washington County, NY
    Did they stop suddenly or did it trail off? Have you noticed any other changes, such as personality changes, decrease in sociability or energy?

4. chickgirl55

chickgirl55 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2007
    Well- it seemed like it stopped suddenly, I was away and my parents were watching my hens. They have seemed like they're more aggresive lately...

5. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Yep, sometimes the flock slacks off some for various reasons. It is best to keep a close eye on things to make sure you don't have a problem egg eater also....just a thought. If you collect eggs often then that prolly isn't a concern at all.

Stress from various things will also cause a flock to slack off on the egg laying.

bigzio

6. dustbath

dustbath Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2008
    Washington County, NY
    I've had this happen to my very small flock too. I don't have a lot of experience, I've only had my birds for a few years, but I can pass on what I've learned.

There are lots of reasons why chickens stop laying. Mine stop when they're molting, when they're broody, and when the nights are long, in the winter.

About a year ago, a couple of my chickens stopped laying and I contacted the cooperative extension, which told me that they were probably reacting to a series of stresses that occurred one after the other: change in weather, change in food, storms. One of the hens started up again but the other didn't and the cooperative extension told me she may be finished her laying years. That usually doesn't happen suddenly, though, they trail off.

It turned out that the hen that stopped was suffering from avian infectious hepatitis. The first signs apparently is that they stop laying and become withdrawn (go off by themselves, act "depressed"). I did notice that she seemed less aggressive and less energetic and curious. This is a contagious disease but some chickens are immune and some are asymptomatic. It is treated with terramycin.

I have no idea whether it is likely that this is your problem but one thing I have learned is to take all changes seriously and keep a close eye on them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by