Not laying, funny sounds, Rooster gone

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 6chickshell, Nov 6, 2010.

1. 6chickshell

6chickshell New Egg

Nov 6, 2010
    I have 6 pullets with 3 being 23 weeks(1 blacksex-link and 2 Ameracaunas) and 3 that are 25 weeks( 2 Buff Orps and 1 Buff Brahma). Not one is laying!!

I woke up to Zoe crowing two weeks ago. Found out "she" was a Joey! Had to get rid of my big beautiful boy due to town ordinances. I found a wonderful, no kill home for him:)
    The chicken expert said that my girls may have been stressed by him and wouldn't lay. It's been two weeks and still nothing! But... at 8am this morning, we heard some repetitive
    sounds, like a small dog barking.

I put a nother laying box thats actually a deep, wide basket with straw and golf balls. Did the same in their laying boxes.

Should I put artificial light? I hear so many different things on this topic. We go away weekends, what if the light that they rely on goes out when we are not home?

I was thinking of cutting another window in the coop and cover with plexiglass, now that the sun has shifted.

Any suggestions? Tips, hints?[​IMG]

2. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm not surprised that they aren't laying. I have large birds too and they are 29 - 30 weeks old and are just starting to lay. I'm not sure everyone is even laying yet - one buff doesn't even have a red comb yet. So I would give them more time and if you want them to start laying supplement the light. Mine have lights on from 6am-8pm daily and they are let out to free range a few hours a say.

We also have a roo who was a real butthead to the girls for a month or so but they started laying anyway. Now he's better with them and a butthead with me!

Good luck - it should happen soon.

3. 6chickshell

6chickshell New Egg

Nov 6, 2010
    Thanks!

I woke this morning to crowing!! But an our after the sun rose. I hope my girl in question is not a roo. Can't have them here. I ran out because I thought that maybe someone was laying! What does that sound like? Will they crow in preparation for laying? They will be 26 and 24 weeks tomorrow. It seems like eternity at this point!

I did put a 60 watt light in the coop yesterday that has a galvanized hood on it. Hopefully that will help.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Quote:My girls don't actually crow its more of a bawg bawg & so on. Your talking full on cockadoddle do are what.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by