Not Laying - Getting Worried....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by FLR, May 7, 2008.

1. FLR

FLR New Egg

Mar 31, 2008
    N. California
    Hi everyone,
    Newbie here and I need help! I have tried searching for an answer and I can't seem to find anything that helps...

Here is my story -
    I purchased 2 chickens from a woman who was losing her home due to the foreclosure crisis (she had a lot of chickens I only took 2). Was told they were 1.5 years old, very healthy and good layers. They have been at our house for 9 day's and I got 1 egg from them. They seem to be acting normal and are eating. I feed lay pellets with water to make it mushy, Lay pellets (dry), oyster shells, Lettuce, gave them a few strawberries, and throw some lay pellets out in the pasture for them to scratch around for. What am I doing wrong??? Could they be sick and not showing signs (or am I missing signs?)? Am I not feeding them correctly? AUGH!! I hate not knowing !!

Any help for this newbie is appreciated

2. Josie

Josie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2008
    California
    Welcome!
    Sometimes hens will stop laying when moved to a new home. Wait a bit.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

You don't have to add water to the layer pellets....they'll eat them fine dry and you don't have to worry about them spoiling. Like Josie said a move will upset them and it just takes time for them to start laying again.

4. FLR

FLR New Egg

Mar 31, 2008
    N. California
    Thank You!!! Thank you!!!

I was adding water because that is what the woman was doing - I was trying to give the poor girls some sense of normalcy...

Is there a point where I should become worried?

5. SeaChick

SeaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Southern Maine
    It took our adopted hen about 2-3 weeks to start laying after the move. Give it time! (I also think that if the previous owner was making mash for them, it';s good that you continue to do so for a while as well... you can probably wean them off it after a bit once they're settled in, if you don't want to do it all the time.)

6. Happy Chicken Mama

Happy Chicken Mama Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2007
    Florida
    Are they in a coop???

If not then maybe they are finding some nook or Cranny to lay in. Last week I thought my girls were taking some time off until I found that they were laying underneath the lawnmower!

Give them time... Good luck! Yeah Chickens!

7. mmajw

mmajw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Maine
    Make sure they have a coop to lay in where they have laying houses or boxes and eventually they will lay. Transition can upset them like it can anyone.

8. Wolf-Kim

Wolf-Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2008
    Do you know what breed they are? Are they dual purpose or layers?

Some ornamental breeds do not lay very well.

I think it is the transition to your place that has them all mixed up as well, but I want to eliminate all possibilites.

-Kim

9. FLR

FLR New Egg

Mar 31, 2008
    N. California
    I believe one is a Buff Orpington and the other is a Welsummer. I took the mash out but I will put some out today for them again. I gave them some strawberries this AM and they were happy about that.

They are in a horse stall in our barn (with access to a pasture during the day) not really a coop. They have 1 lay boxes in with them (under the feeder). I also turned the feeder box into an area for them to hang out in (the one egg I got was in there). There is also a perch area (old branch) for them to roost on. It isn't a super fancy area - but it is clean and large.

10. Redfeathers

Redfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Gervais OR
    Sounds like you are doing everything right. They will lay for you, it's hard to wait though. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by