1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not laying in the cozy nesting boxes...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Heather, Sep 29, 2007.

1. Heather

Heather Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2007
    East Nassau, NY
    Last week we were SO excited to get our first egg!!! They continued to lay in the coop for the next week and then suddenly the laying stopped. My husband was working in the garage this morning and low and behold, he found a half a dozen spread all over the place! Anyone have an idea what is going on? Are they trying to hide them from us?

Last edited: Sep 29, 2007
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Time to lock them girls up for a few days, and put either fake eggs, or golf balls in the nests. They will get the idea.

3. Heather

Jul 14, 2007
    East Nassau, NY
    Quote:Really? You mean like keep them cooped up? We did put some eggs in the nests when they first started laying. Are we supposed to keep them there? It seems so cruel to not let them out....

4. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

This is what I would do......put them in there at night...lock em in...then, dont let them out untill say...10 am....and then only to the run..if you have one. Dont let them free range untill later in the day....say after 5pm. Hope this helps!

5. Heather

Jul 14, 2007
    East Nassau, NY
    Hi Deb

We lock them in at night and let them out first thing in the am.....they free range all day. So just keep them in so they are forced to lay in the coop is your advice. Should we then leave some eggs in there to encourage the laying? How come they started doing this then stopped?

Thanks for your help!
    Heather

6. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Heather......Yes, lock them in at night..and keep them IN the coop untill around 9 or 10 am. Unless its too hot. Leave a few fake eggs...plastic easter eggs worked for my gals...or golf balls. Do they have a run? If so...let them have access to the run, but not free roaming.....for a few days. Once they get the idea...where you want them to lay...then give them freedom! LOL Hope this works for ya. Sounds like they are just laying where its convienient when out and about.

7. devora

devora Chillin' With My Peeps

Just want to second that this is great advice. We had one bird who was not laying in the coop and after being locked in we have had no more problems. We have a run, tho, so they could kick about a bit. Anyway, it works!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by