1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not laying in the heat?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Kathleen1115, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Kathleen1115

Kathleen1115 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    Sorry if this question has been asked and answered many times already this summer, but I haven't been on in a while. It's ridiculously hot here in Atlanta in the summer and this is our first year with chickens. We have a fan in their yard to keep air moving and another in their house that we turn on at night. They seem to be handling the heat pretty well, but I have noticed a drop off in egg production, particularly with one of our Red Stars who only is laying about once a week right now. I'm pretty sure she's part Leghorn (huge floppy comb, very light brown almost pink eggs) and my other three Red Stars (who have smaller combs and lay dark brown eggs) are laying very consistently. The other three (an Easter Egger, a Partridge Rock, and a Gold Laced Wyandotte) are all laying less than they were during the spring. Is it the heat? can anyone explain why? Thanks!

2. mk4lh

mk4lh Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2009
    Swanzey
    The ladies do get heat stress and it will cause a drop in egg production. I found out the hard way with mine. I've since been adding a stress suppliment to their water and give them some type of dairy every other day )either first thing in the morning or in the evening). I hope this helps answer your question.

3. Kathleen1115

Kathleen1115 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2011
    It does, thanks. Also probably explains why the bigger girls seem more affected. The two smallest - Red Star pullets that just started laying - are like clockwork every day. I have been giving them yogurt a couple of times a week, but maybe I'll up that.

4. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    Clean cold ice water. I change the water twice a day & add ice. It might still be half full I change it no matter how full. Put your finger in the water its hot so I change it .My egg production is in full swing matter of fact I'm over loaded with eggs I'm having an egg sale today. Hope to sell my inventory. Seems like the heat are maybe the economy has slowed my egg sales don't know.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by