1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not laying in the nests

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 2BD4C10C, Sep 11, 2015.

1. 2BD4C10C

2BD4C10C Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2015
    East TN
    I have 14 laying hens out of those, 13 lay in the nest boxes while 1 has only layed on the ground or on the floor of the coop. She is the only white leghorn I have the rest are Rhode Island Reds and a handful of Sex Links.

I am not sure what is going on. I showed her the nest boxes on day one so she knows where they are. Is there anything I can do to encourage her to lay in the nest?

Last edited: Sep 11, 2015
  2. LowerBamaMama

LowerBamaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Cottonwood, AL
    Subscribing because I'd like to know as well. My ONLY layer is neglecting to use the lovely spacious boxes I worked so hard to build onto the coop and is just laying right in the middle of the coop floor!

3. LowerBamaMama

LowerBamaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2015
    Cottonwood, AL
    No one answered BUT I did more reading elsewhere and realized that my problem was just that my best box and my coop floor were both deep beds of pine shavings so there was no difference to her in the corner and the boxes.

I scooped the shavings out so that it's just a very thin not cozy layer on the floor and the next day, she started laying in the box. I've since added the shavings back to the coop floor and she's stayed in the nest box so my issue is resolved. Hope this may help you.

4. 1ChickenKeeper

1ChickenKeeper Out Of The Brooder

I don't know if this will work for your hen, but it's worth a try ^^

Chickens are communal layers, they like to lay where everyone else is laying. You'll find 90% of your eggs in one nesting box.
    For the not laying in the box, you can try buying a ceramic egg from your local feed store, or using a good fake egg from home, like golf balls and plastic Easter eggs. They work well into luring the hen to lay in the box. Once a hen sees every else's eggs in a nesting box, chances are she'll want to lay there as well!

Maybe then your hen will be encouraged to lay into the nesting box.

Other than this, I don't know why she wouldn't be laying in the nesting box, your guess is as good as mine here.

Good luck!

LowerBamaMama's idea is a good try too. :thumbsup

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  5. CTKen

CTKen Monkey business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Chickens are funny things. I have 3 nest boxes but my hens only lay in one of them! Is your hen at the bottom of the pecking order? If so, she may have been turfed out of the nest boxes by more dominant hens and thought "what the heck - I'll just lay on the floor".

CT

6. 1ChickenKeeper

1ChickenKeeper Out Of The Brooder

What an idea, this could possibly be the explanation!. :yesss:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by