not laying.. is she ok?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by homegrownchix, Dec 9, 2013.

1. homegrownchix

homegrownchix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2013
    So I know chickens may not lay in the winter, but I've also heard of chickens being egg-bound and dying. How can I tell if my chicken is ok?? I got her in the beginning of July when she was 6wks old.. She had yet to lay a single egg. She was completely free ranging until about 3 wks ago I started supplementing with layer pellets and rice for scratch. I also added a light to the coop, last night, for an extra 4 hours of light. Shes an easter egger/barred rock mix. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I'd say if she's acting normal, eating ,drinking, pecking/scratching around, then she's just fine. I was getting around an average of 13 eggs in the spring and fall. Now I get around 5 a day.

3. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    She is probably fine. I've got pullets that should have started laying a month ago and still have not. Otherwise they are healthy. But I can tell they just aren't quite there yet looking at their combs and waddles (still immature looking). When her comb/waddles start to get very deep red and start growing, you'll know she is getting close. Just be patient with her and she will reward you later on.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by