1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

not laying.. is she ok?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by homegrownchix, Dec 9, 2013.

1. homegrownchix

homegrownchix Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2013
    So I know chickens may not lay in the winter, but I've also heard of chickens being egg-bound and dying. How can I tell if my chicken is ok?? I got her in the beginning of July when she was 6wks old.. She had yet to lay a single egg. She was completely free ranging until about 3 wks ago I started supplementing with layer pellets and rice for scratch. I also added a light to the coop, last night, for an extra 4 hours of light. Shes an easter egger/barred rock mix. Any suggestions?

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. LRH97

LRH97 Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Jul 29, 2013
    Southern Illinois
    I'd say if she's acting normal, eating ,drinking, pecking/scratching around, then she's just fine. I was getting around an average of 13 eggs in the spring and fall. Now I get around 5 a day.

3. davemonkey

davemonkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2012
    Liberty, TX
    She is probably fine. I've got pullets that should have started laying a month ago and still have not. Otherwise they are healthy. But I can tell they just aren't quite there yet looking at their combs and waddles (still immature looking). When her comb/waddles start to get very deep red and start growing, you'll know she is getting close. Just be patient with her and she will reward you later on.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by