Not laying & shell less eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HanwellChickens, Oct 1, 2013.

1. HanwellChickens

HanwellChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2013
    Hanwell, New Brunswick
    I've recently added a pullet and a cockerel to my flock of 6. I was getting 6 eggs a day and now I am getting anything from 4 to 6 This morning I found 2 eggs with no shell. My newest pullet hadn't laid in over a week. Is it stress from the new flock mates that would be causing this? They are acting completely normal otherwise.

2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, chickens don't do well with change. You've added new birds, so a new pecking order needs to be established. They usually will resume laying within a week or so.

3. HanwellChickens

Jun 12, 2013
    Hanwell, New Brunswick
    Thanks. That's what I figured. My original flock is obviously the top of the pecking order. I'll just keep my eyes on them for anything out of place.

4. HanwellChickens

Jun 12, 2013
    Hanwell, New Brunswick
    Update....I now have 5 regular eggs and 2 shell-less. Kind of weird considering I only have 6 brown egg layers. My Ameraucana went on strike when I put her with our flock last week. Haven't had an egg from her in over a week. There is one lady in the nesting box and has been there for quite awhile, so hopefully she'll be ok.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by