Not laying/stolen...advice?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mcg30_40, Sep 29, 2009.

1. mcg30_40

mcg30_40 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    alabama
    Ok, I am bad about not collecting my eggs on a daily basis. I noticed that I'm only collecting a couple of eggs after about 3 days of not collecting. I have 13 hens so I should be getting much more. Soooo, I set a live trap figuring it was a fox stealing eggs and started gathering eggs a couple times a day to take away his meals. Well I'm only getting about 3 eggs a day. I still think something is stealing some if I don't gather on a regular basis but I also think they aren't laying as well as they should be. My hens are from last years hatching to a couple of years old and have been laying great. I've started giving them more feed and some fresh grass. I also changed out the bedding in the laying boxes. Any other suggestions?

P.S. Nothing caught in trap except an occassional chicken during the day. Found a dead hen in the coop a couple of days ago, no apparent reason for death.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2009
  2. StupidBird

StupidBird Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    snakes. pretty shiny black rat snakes. we had two (4 and 5.5 feet) that got rehomed to a nice horse barn.

3. lleighmay

lleighmay Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    One or some of your hens could also be eating eggs. I recently had this problem and I know it was them as I witnessed them doing it. An old farmer friend of mine suggested it might be due to a lack of protein; at his advice I've started giving them 3-4 handfuls of dry cat food (cheap is fine) per day and they seem to have stopped. I just toss the cat food around the run and they take what they want/need. Good luck in determining what's up with your egg problem :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by