1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by nyumbakuku, Apr 7, 2016.

1. nyumbakuku

nyumbakuku Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2015
    My Easter Egger, Emma, has stopped laying. She is only 1 year old (laying about 6 months). The other 3 hens in the flock are laying, although less than normal, but Emma has not been laying for about 3 weeks. Prior to that she laid a green egg almost every day. She laid one white egg last week and it appears that maybe she has laid 2 or 3 eggs that are so soft shelled that they fall to the ground and break/disintegrate. Any thoughts? thanks, Kathryn

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    My EE have always been hit and miss as far as laying, mine lay in spurts, taking breaks between batches. Some hens lay like this, especially the poor layers. EE are mutts so breeding behind them is inconsistent, and they are mostly bred for egg color.

3. mortie

mortie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2014
    The Frozen Tundra
    Did you read the sticky thread at the top of the page about hens not laying?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by