1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chickmama2014, Jul 10, 2016.

1. chickmama2014

chickmama2014 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    My chickens are not laying very well. We have 4. I usually get 1-2 eggs per day. We've had chickens the last three summers and I've never had a batch be this bad about laying. Any ideas? Thank you.

2. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    Sometimes hens slow down laying due to heat, or stress, or getting older or combinations of all 3. Sometimes there are creatures that steal eggs, such as snakes. If the hens are free range, you might look for a hidden nest.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    SueT gave some good reasons. The heat of summer can be hard on hens and many will quit laying. You didn't mention what breeds you have or their ages but those can play a big part as well.

4. chickmama2014

chickmama2014 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2014
    Whoops forgot to mention they are in a chicken tractor that we move twice daily around the yard.

It has been hotter than normal for this time of year here. The place we bought them from just called them red laying hens. I don't even think that's a breed. I am also unsure how old they are unfortunately. If I put a fake egg in would it help? Oh and we did get them in March and they've really not been great at laying the whole time. It was much cooler in March.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    As the weather starts to cool a bit I think you will see an increase in eggs again. They could be getting on in years, most hens lay the best in their first two seasons than production tends to start to drop.

1 person likes this.
  6. dustcover

dustcover Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2016
    couple of golf balls in each nest has motivated my gals.

7. kendallb12

kendallb12 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016
    help! my red sexlink hasn't Layed for like 2 months. it's really hot here down south. We Put a air conditioner window unit so the hen house is nice and cool. My Sexlink goes in there almost everyday and sits in the nest box. then a hour later she comes outside and cackles the egg song but there is NO egg in the box she was in! we know the others have been laying!! She is the only hen not laying. she looks and acts fine, eating and drinking water, scratching around!! we don't know why she isn't laying. any answers?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  8. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

How old is your RSL hen?
    Heat can be a factor for less eggs as well as advanced age.
    Have you picked her up and felt her abdomen?
    Is it hard and can you feel an egg?
    What does her poop look like?

9. kendallb12

kendallb12 Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2016

she is 18 months old, her poop changes sometimes it's solid, sometimes it's runny, she is a hen that won't let you pick her up so I'm not sure about her abdomen being eggbound, i can try though. She seems normal she doesn't look like she is eggbound

10. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    That's somewhat normal behavior for a sex link at that age. They are starting to lay less, and some can quit at that age, but yours js probably so used to laying daily that they still go in the nestboxes. Usually if they look and act normal they are fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by