Not laying

eldabee

Hatching
Aug 5, 2016
Ireland
Hi all, I have two 13 month hens that were part of a rescued from slaughter after being used in factory farming. They're lovely happy hens, gaining weight and feathers, but we only get one egg a day - I'm not sure if it's just one laying or if they alternate as I'm gone during the day. Am I missing something? They're free ranging, have access to layers mash and pellets, grit, dust bath,clean water... anything else that might get them both laying? I'm not too worried, we have more than enough eggs for ourselves, but it would be nice to be able to give more away to people
1f414.png

welcome-byc.gif

Production slows down this time of year as they are going into molt. When did you get them? It could also be that they are still getting over the stress of moving if it was recently. I'm guessing molt, though. They tend to slow down production in Aug. - Sept., stopping completely in Oct. - Nov. and starting up again in Feb. At least that has been my experience.

Thanks, I did wonder if they might be going into moult, but as they have more feathers now than when they arrived a month ago it's hard to tell! They seem happy, which is the most important thing.

Hi SueT, I've scouted around their favourite bushes in case they're laying outside but I haven't found any eggs. More to the point, none of the dogs have found eggs either
1f415.png
1f414.png
1f600.png

Back
Top Bottom