1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Not Laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cettenna, Sep 29, 2011.

1. cettenna

cettenna New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    I have just 3 girls who are now 9 months old. They have been laying well even through our winter but now one has gone broody which I am trying to deal with. The worst thing is that the other 2 have stopped laying as well. Any suggestions re what I should do. They are all free range in my small back yard and just return to the coop to lay and sleep so they do have the perfect life.

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Welcome from TX [​IMG] , Are any of them molting? have you sprayed for mites/lice? Have you wormed yours at all?

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

They haven't decided to lay outside somewhere? You could always keep them in the pen or run for a few days to check.

4. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    [​IMG] from Houston, TX, try feeding them laying feed which should make them to lay eggs some more

5. cettenna

cettenna New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    Hi There are no signs of molting on any of them. Haven't checked for worms but the guy I got them from (he is a fanatic) said they would be ok for quite a while before doing all this do you think I should? They have only stopped (Hilda and Helga who are Welsummers) when Florrie the Barvelder started monopolising the favourite nest. I have checked all over the yard and cannot find any eggs.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:Wrong information. Layer feed does not MAKE a hen lay eggs. It only provides them with the necessary dietary ingredients they need to lay.

7. cettenna

cettenna New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    Thanks I am feeding them with the Red Hen top free range layer mix which the produce merchant said is the best - it includes laying pellets

8. DebbieDee

DebbieDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2011
    Boise
    Where might I ask would you get that feed?

9. cettenna

cettenna New Egg

Jul 24, 2011
    Hi there
    We are in Australia so it may just be an Australian Brand I think it is made in South Australia ( www.lauckemills.com.au/poultryfood2.html). They make a number of different types and I buy it from our local produce store that sells everything for horses livestock etc.

10. cettenna

cettenna New Egg

Jul 24, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by